Please suggest a MPPT controller for me?

AndrewP

Explorer
I think your batteries are just full. If you were to sit with your battery during a full cycle, you would likely see initial charging to nearly full (bulk), then higher voltage charging at 14.5 v or so, and when the absorb phase is over and the battery is essentially fully charged, the charge controller will lower the voltage to 13.4 (or what ever it's programmed at). The current will be close to zero if not zero at full charge. Everything described here sounds like normal behavior.

Do you have a smart wall charger? If so, it should mimic what your solar controller is doing.

What problem are you trying to solve?

Anyway, that Eco-Worthy MPPT controller for $100 is something you can experiment with for a decent price.

Last edited:

AndrewP

Explorer
And thats the kicker.

I will ALWAYS argue you should go for an MPPT controller. The benefits are proven. The only negative is cost.

That said, there is MUCH more value in high(er) voltage panels.

Im running just 200 watts, but the panels are 36 volt panels. The benefits are there.

Even with the "el-cheapo" MPPT controller. Which seems to be surviving just fine. All gravy so far.

I totally agree. You are running 36 volt panels. An MPPT controller will yield far more power into the battery since a PWM controller will waste about half in your set up. But in the system being proposed by Bbasso, he's going to run "12 volt" panels with a nominal voltage of 18 volts. Both types of controllers will work great, with a slight nod to the MPPT controller.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
So it seems with a draw over night about 3ish amps I still had 13.0 in the morning, by that I mean when the CC starts to 'see' solar input. And within 1.5 hours possibly less the batteries were back to 13.6
I guess my system is working good.
But even a few hours later , it still doesn't show the batteries are full. Even with no draw since they started charging this morning

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
by that I mean when the CC starts to 'see' solar input. And within 1.5 hours possibly less the batteries were back to 13.6

Careful. Just because the system voltage was back up to that doesnt mean much as far as battery charge goes.

When charging, voltage is pretty much worthless with regard to battery level.
Same when discharging, under load.

To use voltage as a measure of battery level, the batteries need to be at rest for quiet some time without charge or discharge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior