Police Radar trailers

trust

Adventurer
Has anyone tried to use the small police speed trap radar trailers for a backcountry exploration trailer? A buddy has 3 or 4 of them he bought at an auction and their size, built in solar panels/wiring, weight and stuff make them an intriguing option to tow behind my Scrambler. Especially since they lock up nice and tight for keeping the outside stuff secure during the occasional motel nights.

Thanks

Xrunner

Explorer
Probably a good start to a trailer, from what I've seen they are usually similar to the (construction) sign trailers you see but would save you from building a box/etc.

Shack had two sign trailers for sale not too long ago here.

20150627_113203_zpsj5onetci.jpg

(photo credit to shack in his sale thread)

Last edited:

trust

Adventurer
I'll try to get a pic and dimensions, but these have a box with one or two lockable doors, a tray inside for batteries, a PV panel and the framework for a digital sped readout, I didnt think he got the radar units though....

WUzombies

Adventurer
I have extensive experience with radar trailers, primarily from Stalker and Decatur, as I was in law enforcement for nearly a decade and spent most of that as a motor (motorcycle cop, aka traffic division). The trailers are often auctioned off when either the electronics for the radar and display systems begin to fail or when the battery systems begin to fail.

The solar panels are best to be thought of as a trickle charger, the required power for the radar, sign board and data logging (yes they do that, but typically basic information to chart speeds over times for enforcement direction) electronics is very minor.

Most of the trailers are very light gauge, to the point that I could pick side of the trailers up off the ground with ease, even with the electronics and batteries on board. The axles are similarly very light duty. Most have light duty leaf springs no suspension as it isn't typically needed due to the light weight to be pulled across town by a Crown Vic.

Point being I wouldn't put more than 200-300lbs on one, even then it might be too much for the trailer. Brand new and fully operational with electronics and batteries I would place the total trailer weight at or below 500lbs. To the point we used to use a chain and padlock our trailers to light poles because people kept flipping them over as a prank.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I've had the same thought about repurposing one of the light stand/generator trailers, which come with leveling jacks at each corner right from the get-go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman