POP TOP on an LR3

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Dreaming and looking around on the interweb since my LR3 is broken again. I came across this Pop Top camper top on a land cruiser. It would be pretty cool to see someone pull the glass out of the top of an LR3 and Put one of these in.
pop Top LC.jpg

Completely different roof design. I’m sure you could put a pop Top on anything if you had the money and didn’t mind the safety factor behind cutting into the major support structure of the LR3. I think we all dreamt of this at one time or another but unless it was a complete trail rig, I would never consider cutting into the structure like that; nevermind the amount of aluminum it would take to get the rails strong enough to keep the rig from folding in half. Lol

Since you are dumping off your LR3, just keep it and cut the roof off and use it as a trail rig. We all would love to see it. Lol

morrisdl

Adventurer
WHy would need to cut anything structural? With the glass removed there is plenty of access. The RTT weight is at least partially offset by the weight with removed glass.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Its been done. I saw versions of that on disco3web years ago.

land-rover-discovery-camper-conversion.jpg

lr3-pop-up-roof.jpg

lr3-pop-up-roof-rear.jpg

normal_D33~1.JPG

That’s pretty sweet. Like I said, with the right money and time you can put a pop Top on anything.

That mod is worth more than the vehicle in today’s money. Lol

I would love it though fo sho! Thanks for sharing.

Ian_Barry

Observer
I've been thinking about this for some time...

I am pretty sure the shortest path to a solution would be with Adventure Trailers, and getting their habitat married to the top of the truck.

When(/if) they release the the DIY kit I would experiment with it. It would be the perfect compliment for my shelving/sleeping platform in the rear, giving me a little more head room, maybe even standing (6'2").

EDIT: They currently offer a DIY kit but it doesn't have the pass through feature I'm interested in. Guessing on pricing, I'd say it'd be north of 8k to get them to do the custom (based on pricing for DIY kit & Taco Habitat)

v-habitat-jk.jpg

Last edited:

Ray_G

Explorer
While interesting, I think for the ease of time-and relatively speaking money-I'd put a Baroud on top and spend the time saved out with the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ian_Barry

Observer
While interesting, I think for the ease of time-and relatively speaking money-I'd put a Baroud on top and spend the time saved out with the truck.

Someone's thinking with their brain; it's not me. Permanently maiming the truck sounds super appealing. :ylsmoke::sombrero:

Jwestpro

Explorer

Hmmm, that solution isn't really complicated enough for the modern Land Rover enthusiast... ;)

Ray_G

Explorer
Someone's thinking with their brain; it's not me. Permanently maiming the truck sounds super appealing. :ylsmoke::sombrero:

Well that you take the hard road is fairly well known!

MAR? Izzy will expect you. I'm happy to include you in pulled pork (fri) and potential low country boil (sat) #'s.

Ray_G

Explorer
I have no idea where anyone got that idea.

I'm trying to figure it out; is there a Friday convoy? I wouldn't want to disappoint Izzy, I've seen how sideways that can go.

Will hit you on email; we are pushing on Thurs to Cville to overnight there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan

Members online