Portable Freezer Opinions

jps4jeep

Observer
Mods move this if needed.

I have been looking for a portable freezer that I can bounce between my truck and the camper. My general requirement is for it to be about 50+ quarts and the ability to operate on both 110v and 12v. I have been using a yeti with ice blocks but am looking for something with a little more longevity.

I have seen the ARB but the price point is killing me. I also see two other brands that are considerably lower priced and was wondering what the feedback on them is?

Whynter and EdgeStar, Links below.

The two look very similar and I am thinking they are from the same manufacturer.

I am a firm believer that I get what I pay for, but I also know ARB is expensive to begin with.

Any help is appreciated.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...8&tbm=shop&cid=6301881718957879929&os=reviews

http://www.google.com/products/cata...8&tbm=shop&cid=1355627595126940719&os=reviews

6x6pinz

Adventurer
In our Pinz group we use the Engel/Norcold. They are 12/24/120v. They have extremely low power consumption. the model most are using is the MRFT60, it is a 52qt model. We find them on craigslist around here in the used range of $500. Not too bad considering what you get.

bob91yj

Resident **************
There is a huge thread regarding the Edgestar 'fridges around here somewhere. I've had mine for 3-4 years now. It is used 24/7 in the house as a beer/soft drink cooler. It has seen countless off road trips, rattled around, beat up etc. Mine has held up well. I had to replace the lighter socket end of the 12v cord (solder broke on one of the wire connectors, easier to replace the whole plug than it was to fix the solder when/where I figured it out), other than that mine has been trouble free.

I got mine through compactappliance.com, they have a scratch and dent section that has some smoking deals time to time.

pods8

Explorer
As mentioned a big thread on edgestar out there.

Main thing I got out of my reading is the initial QC on the electrical components is definitely in the "you get what you pay for category" and NUMEROUS posters have had to go into them to rework things or send them back in for repair/replacement. That said many folks on here are tinkerer type people so its not necessarily a big deal to all and once that stuff is ironed out they seem to hold up. I believe I read in the past their draw was a bit higher but that is just from memory.

Personally I opted for a new ARB when there was a $100+ off sale going on. The slightly narrower/longer dimension worked in the layout of the camper I'm building/location I want to put the fridge where as the edgestar did not which made up the majority of the decision and the much more appealing initial quality control, fit/finish of the product, better efficiency (from memory) and better known company were worth the extra dollars to me as icing on the cake.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Please be seated when you look at these prices but they are good (on another level) and ultra efficient due to the amount of insulation and evaporator setup .
www.norcoast.com.au

Last edited:

XploreBaja

Observer
I have 3 FridgeFreeze units, two of which I have for 12 years!

They have been from Alaska to Cabo in multiple trucks and they are still running like a charm!

I have 2 60 liter and 1 45 liter units and use them often in both 110 and 12 Volt situations.

I'm a consumer, not affiliated with them but they also have incredible customer service. Jay Black is the owner and he is a Baja off road racer living in San Diego where the company is located. They will go out of their way to accommodate you.

Check the out at www.FridgeFreeze.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman