potential Jeep change

trust

Adventurer
Wow, thanks guys and yeah mtbxj87, you do have a point.... Thanks for the kind words on the Scrambler and Thank you Jeff for posting the pic. The Scrambler is by far the best, most well suited to me Jeep I have owned with the possible exception of my full sized Cherokee chief but thats been gone a long time. If i could swing it Id go with a 5.3, 4L60 and hydroboost and some small stuff and probably be happy, for a while. I did talk to a guy here about regearing, he didnt feel it was worth the trouble going 4.11 =>4.56 and that 4.88 was to low for the D30 front, d44 rear and no OD since i drive it so much. I may swap a set of 33s on it and try it that way, a buddy has a set I can borrow but i dont expect that to be the solution. Or, if I could find a clean LJ that I could essentially swap for I think that might work too, 4L auto Rubicon with a hard top. I seldom remove the hard top now, I do have half doors and soft uppers for it but I havent used them (just finished the uppers last month) and a soft half cab but I dont see using it again so thats not important to me. Ive waffled for a while on the various liners to help with heat and noise but havent done it yet, I get close then I find someone whos jeep body is held together by the liner and rusted completely under it and that scares me, plus, most of my noise issue is wind noise and that I'm afraid is a function of the fundamental aerodynamics of a brick. Ive thought about, and may in fact pursue, an aluminum topper for it to make up for the small cab size, but that doesnt solve some of the inherent issues I have with it...

Thanks again Gents, I appreciate all of yalls input.

Will I see you in Moab again Jeff?

Last edited:

trust

Adventurer
Naters, if you want to move that Rover give the guy who runs the Land Rover Ranch inLas Vegas New Mexico a call, I cant recall his name just now but hes a good guy and does great restoration work, he may be interested

Happykamper

Explorer
That is one nice scrambler !!! I don't know you, but I think if you sell her it's something you might regret forever.

Just my.02

trust

Adventurer
Thanks happykamper, I'm sure youre probably right

Good deal Jeff, Im working the same two trails next year, Cameo Cliffs on Monday and Deadman's Point on Wednesday, beyond those I will likely be open

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Thanks happykamper, I'm sure youre probably right

Good deal Jeff, Im working the same two trails next year, Cameo Cliffs on Monday and Deadman's Point on Wednesday, beyond those I will likely be open

Terry,
Haven't decided which trails I want to do this time, but if we're on a trail together and you're still thinking about swapping the Scrambler for something else maybe you'd like to drive my LJ on the trail for a bit to see how you like it...
jeff

trust

Adventurer
Terry,
Haven't decided which trails I want to do this time, but if we're on a trail together and you're still thinking about swapping the Scrambler for something else maybe you'd like to drive my LJ on the trail for a bit to see how you like it...
jeff

Thanks Jeff, thats very generous! Im starting to casually look around at options now, LJs are scarce around here and even used, the new ones are still out of my financial reach, but since I stripped the Scrambler of its recovery gear and spares its a lot more pleasant driving.

dsal_86yota

Observer
Just my 2cents, Fix up the CJ8, they are sweet rigs. My buddy has one and he loves it. Plus the old CJ8s are rare, and CJs look better then any JK,TJ or even LJ could ever dream of looking. Maybe you could look at finding a set of D44s out of a old FSJ? I have a buddy at work with a CJ7 and the previous owner swapped D44s from a wagoner on it. Plus the cost of a newer rig sucks lol. I had a TJ for about 3 years and it was ok, great for high mountain hunting, but was only a 4 banger, and soft top. As a DD it was great in the summer but cold in the winter. But I do understand where you are coming from. I have a 86 Yota I bought 12 years ago. Have wheeled it and DD it for a long time. Now that our family has expanded to 3, its not a family friendly rig, Id love to keep it and wheel it till I die but looking like I will be selling and looking for a more family sized rig.

trust

Adventurer
thanks dsal, I actually already have a rear 44 out of a Scout in it and have upgraded the front somewhat so I'm not worried there right now, in fact Im generally very happy with it overall. Some more power on the road, better economy and reliability and Id be pretty satisfied. The changes Ive made have been in those areas, at least in theory, if not always working out in practice.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
i completely understand the feeling of wanting something diferent. I have a CJ7 frame up built sitting beside the garage and a 13 JKUR that has replaced it. The JK is a ton more refined than the CJ, but I just can't bring myself to sell the CJ. I talk about it once in a while but I get cold feet and just let it sit there. Maybe some day I'll get a small diesel for it.............

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12