Powerstroke question

surlydiesel

Adventurer
In reference to the question about the Cheap Exhaust Brake setup. I did it really simply by cutting the 2 wires going to the plug, running one end to a 3 pronged switch, a ground and a 12volt source and bingo. You hit the switch to close it and release it to open it. There are all sorts of links for ways to make the valve close anytime you are off the gas or anytime you touch your brakes, using the brake lights to trigger the 12volt power. I just used a "push in" switch that you pushed in to turn on and pushed it again to release it. Had it right below the shifter knob on my 5spd. Could get down some steep hills in third with the valve closed, off the brakes.

This is silly but it was one of my favorite cheap mods that felt like it made a huge difference. I also had a well sealed aftermarket intake, replaced downpipe and some other key upgrades that kept it running nice. I would love to own another OBS ford, just need to get some more steady income coming in for a more "needy" truck.

-jorge

xbox73

Adventurer
In reference to the question about the Cheap Exhaust Brake setup. I did it really simply by cutting the 2 wires going to the plug, running one end to a 3 pronged switch, a ground and a 12volt source and bingo. You hit the switch to close it and release it to open it. There are all sorts of links for ways to make the valve close anytime you are off the gas or anytime you touch your brakes, using the brake lights to trigger the 12volt power. I just used a "push in" switch that you pushed in to turn on and pushed it again to release it. Had it right below the shifter knob on my 5spd. Could get down some steep hills in third with the valve closed, off the brakes.

This is silly but it was one of my favorite cheap mods that felt like it made a huge difference. I also had a well sealed aftermarket intake, replaced downpipe and some other key upgrades that kept it running nice. I would love to own another OBS ford, just need to get some more steady income coming in for a more "needy" truck.

-jorge

Some people & tuners aren't advocates of using the stock EBPV as a poor man's exhaust brake, at least not without upgrading the valvetrain i.e. push rods & valve springs, due to the possibility of lifting a valve due to excessive back pressure under high load. The same caveat also applies for a purpose-designed exhaust brake (as it operates on the same principle of blocking the exhaust flow). Either way, whether you use the stock EBPV or a purpose-designed exhaust brake, it might be worth looking into upgrading the valvetrain to cope.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
That advice makes good sense. I know most people that put an exhaust brake in, end up going to stiffer valve springs. I think I'll just leave it as is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman