Pre trip rituals

traveltoad

Aaron S
... so before my truck hits the road or the trail I grab a hand full of wrenchs, a grease gun and climb under the truck. I have allways thought most failures were just not caught in time. giving everything the once over prevents lots of trail break downs.

I do the same. If it is a longer trip I take each wheel off and inspect brakes, brake lines, springs, shocks etc etc. I check under the hood with a handfull of wrenches as well.

I try to do all this two weekends before the trip so if I find anything I have time to address it. The weekend before I inspect and lay out camping/personal gear. Then in the final days before departure all I have to do is wash the truck and load up.

frans

Adventurer

Stands for 'Big Freaking Hammer'?

I like your list. J.B. Weld comes in fast cure versions which may be useful on a trip.

I always bring spare radiator hoses but I don't carry extra anti-freeze as usually I am in sensitive areas. If I do lose coolant I just re-fill with water so I don't spew anti freeze all over the place while limping home.

traveltoad

Aaron S
LOL after 18 years of marriage my wife knows me...

if I wrench on my truck for a few hours she asks me if I am going wheeling saturday.

if I wrench on it 2 or 3 days in a row she asks me "what are you planning?"

I have pulled hundreds of overnighter wrench sessions over the years to be ready for a trip in the morning. the anticipation of hitting the trail always gets me wound up . I dont really have a list I follow its more like being on autopilot and everything just goes a certain way.

After 10 years of marriage my wife knows to ask what things go in which Pelican, then to ask if that Pelican is ready to be packed... then to leave for me to load in the truck.

That is actually one ritual I failed to mention. After I have done all the prep, I torture her by making her sit and listen to all the things I have done to make sure I haven't forgotten anything. She doesn't even know what I am talking about as I go throught the list... then I get "Sounds good dear." Ok, ready to go! lol

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
My ritual consists of putting off doing anything until the night before. Then deciding to pack (without any type of list) at about midnight or later. Head out the next morning.

James86004

Expedition Leader
My pre-trip ritual:

Check the phase of the moon, kill a chicken and walk three times clockwise around my Land-Rover chanting:" Oh Joseph Lucas, mighty Prince of Darkness, protect your unworthy servant."

It works. Lucas has never left me stranded by the side of the road. Unfortunately, Robert Bosch has. I need to come up with a Wagnerian chant.

Last edited:

jcbrandon

Explorer
...Lucas has never left me stranded by the side of the road. Unfortunately, Robert Bosch has...
Lucas and Bosch are very closely related. They may even be one in the same. I offer this opinion as the former owner of a 1969 BMW 2002 and a 1973 3.0S.

Blueboy

Adventurer
I have allways thought most failures were just not caught in time. giving everything the once over prevents lots of trail break downs

yep, totally agree on this as well.

and I am a nut for proper maintenace on all the machines around the house.

something can always happen, yet, if the item is well maintained, it happens less often.

Jaime

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I agree with that, except I find the "watched pot never boils" seems to be true. I never find failures on things I'm expecting and watching, always something else.

TeriAnn

Explorer
yep, totally agree on this as well.

and I am a nut for proper maintenace on all the machines around the house.

something can always happen, yet, if the item is well maintained, it happens less often.

I too am a firm believer in the saying "Take care of your gear and it will take care of you"

I don't know about the other models, but the Series Land Rover owners manual has a factory maintenance schedule. I'm a believer that if you follow the schedule on an ongoing basis and swap out 10 spline rear axles every 40,000 miles or so that you will have very few surprises in the field.

I have seen way too many failures on the trail that are directly caused by deferred maintenance.

I agree with that, except I find the "watched pot never boils" seems to be true. I never find failures on things I'm expecting and watching, always something else.

EXACTLY! It is the maintained part that doesn't give unexpected problems. It is what you don't maintain that will get you.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman