project inlaw

silvrzuki77

explorer
Hey everyone, Im new to this site love the tech all round and the ideas you guys have. Background about me if anyone care. Ive been in 4x4 since my dad brought home a brand new samurai in 88. All thats left of it is the hood and firewall. All tubed and linked runnin 37's sittin next to my other 88 sami that I converted to a pickup and did a bunch of other stuff for trail ridin. I love doin the rock crawlin but everyone is ballin cause money. Besides I love explorin the desert here in nevada!! This will be my 3rd cherokee. Last one I loved but it was a 98 2 door I sold that 2 years ago with dogs and a child coming I wanted a FJ80 but as luck had it my in laws gave me my brother in law 01 xj that has been sitting since he left for the marines in 05. He didnt want it and it had some problems and it took up space so the told me to take it for free. :sombrero: Anyways number of problems
ac no worky and blows through defroster. (found broken vacuum line)
Rear hatch no longer would latch. (latch not hooked up)
According to inlaws would not hold charge for more than 2 days sittin. (Pulled AMP that had constant power going to it)
oh and I broke the exhaust pullin it on the trailer cause it sat like 3" off the ground:oops:
Check out the niffty wiring in the air box:rolleyes: Dont ask cause I dont know why!!
PICT0012-2.jpg

So current plan I couldnt stand how low it sat so for temp I found a complete 2" spacer shackle kit with new rancho at the junkyard. $30 buck later and sweating my sack off in 110 degree weather Im good for now.
before
PICT0008-2.jpg

PICT0009-2.jpg

After
PICT0014-2.jpg

PICT0013-2.jpg

And my puppies happy that they can actually fit in the car instead of the pick up zuk
PICT0015-2.jpg

So only glitch both rear shock bolts were rusted and all broke off in the chassis:mad: Took the rear sway bar mounts on the spring plate and welded them in. Worked in my last xj.
So here is the plan.
TNT waggy 44 truss and mount kit for the front.
rodeo 44 rear with disk, 4.56, and undecided what locker. probally a Detriot.
After looking at long arm kits probally going to use the 5.5 RE kit cause of the skid plate and cause the waggy is a low pinon hopefully their unbent arms will help protect it.
ARB bumper air/winch combo
I will build everything else sliders, rear bumper.
Roof rack and eventually simpson tent when my son can walk right now I will use my cot tent!
Hope to pick up a used toughbook from work. We go through them like crazy.
I will keep updates and what not if anyone has cares or not.
See ya on the trail!

inked33

Adventurer
looks like you got a great xj especially for the price you cant complain lol. looking forward to seeing your build progress. i sold my last cherokee a few years ago and have been kicking myself in the a** lately.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
You can do a expo ready cherokee more economically than just about anything, good choice. You have any pics of the sami truck bed? That sounds interesting

silvrzuki77

explorer
Here is the zuki bed I built. Im going to move the tire to the back of the cab and recess it into the floor so I can see out the back.
139.jpg

Here a pic of my old cherokee that I swapped the 4x4 into.
DSC00481.jpg

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
OK neat XJ and all, but that converted Suzi sounds like an awesome truck. You should show us more of it over in the Other section. Good juck with youtr XJ build. A word of advice: If you're going to be carrying loads, towing and ingeneral taking an XJ out in teh bush, add the "frame" strengtheners. In the long run it'll make your truck's uni-body last longer. I, loved playing with my old XJ's but I got SO sick of all teh rattles and the doors eventual;y not closing...

Cheers

Dave

silvrzuki77

explorer
Actually was talking to rubicon express today about frame stiffners that work with their kit. They told they have no idea and to call t&j lol

silvrzuki77

explorer
Wow so far lots of fun stuff to fix
Ac vacuum line broken
No cold ac
all passenger windows wouldnt work
rear carpet torn out and replaced with workshop mats
got to keep thinkin its free!

I told my self I was going to wait on buying the axles and lift and what not
but I came across to dana 60's hp at the local pick n pull for $200 bucks each and a quick post on craigslist im $900 richerafter paying them off :sombrero:
So quick call to TnT and I have a truss and frame stiffners on their way.
Today I got a waggy 44 and when I feel a little more motivated going to pick up my rodeo 44 with 4.10 this weekend.
waggyaxle.jpg

Next couple of weeks I will be buying a rubicon express lift and tnt long arm kit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12