Proper RF grounding of your vehicle.

taugust

Adventurer
Another thread asked about mounting an HF radio in a vehicle. After typing all of this out, I realized it was a hijack, so I thought I would start a new thread. By no means is this a definitive resource, but it gives some basics that I learned recently and my help others. Be aware that DC ground and RF ground are completely different and one does not subtitute for the other.

I found that proper grounding of the antenna mount and "bonding" of the body panels is critical to getting a decent SWR on mobile HF. This is true even if using the ATAS-120. When I first installed the HF antenna mount, I couldn't get a decent SWR at all. I thought that screwing into the fender would be sufficient. Not. Many of the body panels are isolated from each other. So after some reading about grounding on the internet, I bought some tinned copper braided strap and terminal lugs and began connecting everything together. A mobile vertical antenna is one half of a dipole, with the other half supplied by the body of the vehicle. The more of the vehicle you use, the better your reception and transmissions will be. You want to connect as many body panels to the frame as possible. If you can't go directly to the frame, connect to another panel which is connect to the frame.

The strap is a low impedence connection and is much better than stranded wire. The wider the better, and keep length to less than 2 feet. The stuff can be expensive, but I found that my local electronics shop had some old narrower stock that was 55 cents per foot. The newer, wider stuff was $2- $3 per foot. I bought 15 feet of the cheaper stuff.

I started with strapping the mount to the frame and connecting the hood to the cab at both of the hinges. This alone actually brought my SWR into usable range for some bands.

Then I slowly added more. I currently have about 11 straps throughout the vehicle, and I am still not done: Antenna mount (left fender) to frame, 2 from hood to cab, transmission to frame, 2 from cab to frame, 4 from bed to frame (4 corners), exhaust pipe to frame. I still need more on the exhaust pipe and the body panels in some places, as well as several from engine to frame. The engine and exhaust are apparently large sources of ignition noise, so grounding these in several places will greatly reduce to noise on your signal. I still have about 6 feet of strap left.

The literature I read says to both crimp and solder the terminals to the braid, and to use star washers to bite into the metal for a good connection. I used self drilling screws.

Attachments

• DSC_5481Low.jpg
    DSC_5481Low.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC_5482Low.jpg
    DSC_5482Low.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 127

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I doubt you can have too much grounding, but I'm not sure it's not overkill.

I have my ATAS-120 mounted to my rear door with a Diamond K400 mount. I believe it simply has a few set screws and a metal plate that goes against the body. I didn't even use a ground strap from the rear door to the body, but I thought I might need one.

I just used my setup last night during national field day. I was getting people from Florida, Connecticut, Arizona, Iowa, Missouri, New York, New Jersey, and a few other states on 20m and 15m. I didn't transmit on 40 meter, though, and the grounding might show up as a problem there...I just haven't tried it yet. The SWR meter on my radio was really low and the antenna routinely tuned in the various bands without issue.

How is your radio working now with all the ground straps?

Last edited:

taugust

Adventurer
The ATAS-120 will compensate for grounding problems, but should get significantly better performance with proper grounding. I have spoken to Hawaii and Georgia and heard all over the states and Venezuela and Cuba on 20m. I only have a ham stick type antenna and no tuner. Just an impedence matching box. It is more of a manual setup.

gary in ohio

Explorer
The ATAS-120 will compensate for grounding problems,

The ATAS will NOT compensate for grounding problems. You either have ground or you dont. The ATAS Needs as much metal under it as possible. Its a marginal antenna to start with, Yes it will radiate without a good ground and yes you can talk to people. That doesn't make it a good antenna. That makes it a usable antenna. As long as you stay on 10-20m it will work for casual conversations, but take it to 40/80/75 and you will find its a tunable dummy load.

For its size and autotune function its a nice little antenna, but its not going to even come close to comparing with a full size screwdriver antenna.

As for grounding, Its not magic. Get a good connection. Bonding is great to reduce noise but if you want a good ground get a wire down to the frame rail.
With some of the smaller trail rigs or those with lots of fiberglass the same is the best option.

taugust

Adventurer
The ATAS will NOT compensate for grounding problems. You either have ground or you dont.

You are correct. What I should have said is that it will compensate for incomplete bonding. What this usually means is, I believe, a reduction in output power. I don't own the ATAS-120 so I am not sure. Nothing will compensate for grounding problems.

I am nowhere near an expert in these matters and my terminology may be off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12