PTO Winches?

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Considering one, but have very little knowledge (other than Toyota OEM which I'm considering) about "aftermarket" ones in general.

• How are they rated, by gear reduction or by shear pin?
  • What are recommended manufacturers?
  • Is the drive flange a standard or must be customized?
  • Do they mount into standard 10"x4" (warn?) hole patterns,
  • &c
  • &c
Thanks,

Last edited:

lowenbrau

Explorer
-The shear pin is the fuse. Many people put a bigger shearpin in there and break more cables and chew up the brass gear.
-Ramsay, Superwinch, Tulsa, Toyota
-Flanges vary
-None mount 'normally'

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
The PTO on my truck was made by Fairey, normally associated with overdrives for Land Rovers. If the winch didn't come with the truck it would not be my first choice for a winch. The main reason which I am sure you have already considered is that the truck must be running for it to work. Aside from that it pulls like hell.

James86004

Expedition Leader
Koenig Iron Works also made PTO winches for Land Rover and Jeeps and I am sure others. Don't forget, you also need a governor for the engine.

PTO winches are better suited for things where you are using them constantly, like pulling logs out of the woods all day. But if you are crossing a creek and the engine floods, it is just a big boat anchor.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Do Ramsey | Superwinch even still make a PTO?
I know Ramsey still makes hydraulic winches, wouldn't be hard I don't expect to convert it to PTO. In fact some people have converted the RE series winches to hydraulic, so you could go PTO with one of them.

You don't need a governor for a PTO winch, I don't use one with my Koenig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior