pull/snatch strap size?

hovenator

Explorer
I want to get a pull/snatch strap for my truck (estimated GVW is 5500 lbs.). I want a stretch type strap that can do the job efficiently. I found a couple of straps at Tractor Supply and wonder if they'll do the job or should I go with an ARB or Black Rat brand? Also, what length is recommended? The straps at TSC are 3"x20ft. for $49 or 3"x30ft. for $59 and are both rated to 27,000 lbs. Any info or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Is it a heavy duty tow strap or a 'snatch' strap? Most general/department style stores only sell tow straps which aren't designed to stretch.

My ARB snatch strap is rated for 18000 lbs while my procomp tow strap (non-stretching) is rated for 30000 lbs. I suspect what you're looking at is a tow strap and not a snatch strap. Currently the 3x30' strap is $80+ so thats a good deal for a tow strap. The ARB (2 3/8"x30') is $53.

FWIW, I have both & used them for recoveries and the tow strap is definitely harsher on the snatch points/rigs.

Last edited:
i have used the tractor supply straps exclusively for a long time. everhthing from toyotas to 1-ton diesels. they have always worked fine.

jake

emmodg

Adventurer
You'll get a little stretch with one of the nylon straps from TSC. (Usually around 5,10, or even 20% stretch with some of the Erickson Straps they sell.)

I would go long. You can always put a knot sinnet or "daisy chain" in the strap to shorten it's length. Long straps are also great for cable rigging high in trees to get a winch line off the ground or attain a better angle on a hill. And remeber, a good "rule of thumb" with a nylon strap is 10,000lbs per inch width.You'd probably be pretty good with a 30k lb strap although if you can afford a stronger one....

PS - I you want a true K.E.R.R. look into Viking Line or Master Pull ropes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan