pulling the trigger

DesertXJ

Observer
I decided to look into getting a Ham radio license and then getting a 2m radio for my Cherokee. I have a friend who has been after me to get into this. So since I know absolutely nothing about Ham radio I ordered my first book tonight.....Ham Radio For Dummies...since I'm a dummy and I have read a couple of dummy books and have enjoyed the way they put things. I read the reviews and they were very positive so I ordered it for my Nook (actually wife's nook)...:coffee:

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Another great resource is www.qrz.com - they have practice tests available that are a great study/learning tool. Free too.

HamTestOnline is also a great tool, but it does cost money. Their approach is kind of a mix between tutorials and practice questions. They keep track of how well you seem to know various subjects and will drill you on topics you need help on.

Good luck, and I'm sure you'll enjoy the benefits of ham vs. CB.

DesertXJ

Observer
I would also advise you to find a local ham club and work with them. they can help you with study info and testing.
Use http://www.arrl.org/find-a-club to find a local club.

thanks for the info, My Friend Steve runs a ham club here locally, So I will definitely be hooking up with them. I actually went to a get together once with my kids but they were to interested in playing around so it was kind of a distraction for me...next time I'll go alone.

DesertXJ

Observer
Another great resource is www.qrz.com - they have practice tests available that are a great study/learning tool. Free too.

HamTestOnline is also a great tool, but it does cost money. Their approach is kind of a mix between tutorials and practice questions. They keep track of how well you seem to know various subjects and will drill you on topics you need help on.

Good luck, and I'm sure you'll enjoy the benefits of ham vs. CB.

thanks, I did find Hamtestonline and was able to do some free stuff I scored a 90% on a test they were giving me, pretty simple stuff actually. I appreciate the help. I'm going to run both a Ham rig and a CB rig. I'm limited on space in the cab of an XJ. So for the CB it'll be a Cobra 75 WXST remote unit. on the Ham I'm not sure...looking at Kenwood stuff or Icom...I'll decide that after more research

Phreak480

Army Guy
Plenty of room in an XJ. I had a cb mounted to the console on the tranny hump, and the ham rig was a remote face unit where i mounted the remote face up on the dash conveniently and he body under the back seat. Antenna mounts were permanent types through the roof.

Best of luck to you.

-K2ZMB

DesertXJ

Observer
Plenty of room in an XJ. I had a cb mounted to the console on the tranny hump, and the ham rig was a remote face unit where i mounted the remote face up on the dash conveniently and he body under the back seat. Antenna mounts were permanent types through the roof.

Best of luck to you.

-K2ZMB

For me I can't have the cb mounted to the console, its a personal thing with me as in I try to keep things as factory looking as possible. With the 2M I'll probably do a remote like you mentioned. I'm sure my friend Steve will hook me up when it comes time.

I did order my Cobra 75 the other day, it should be here next monday. My rack for the roof is almost done so I'll have a lot of wiring to do with lights, Ant, CB Switches etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior