purchasing a plasma cutter (HELP)

stewwalker

Observer
I am slowly but surely collecting all the tools a man needs for building things. The next on my list is a plasma cutter. Although I know you get what you pay for, is there any one that can inform me on inexpensive plasma cutters. I have seen all the ones on ebay that are made in China, but are they worth the 300 to 400 dollars, or should I not skimp on a cutter and get a name brand machine.

What I am looking for...
inexpensive cutter
cuts up to 1/2 inch steel
has replaceable parts if something does go wrong

any info will help

4671 Hybrid

Adventurer
I'll be in the same boat in a few months. In the meantime, I've been reading the threads on WeldingWeb.com and also on Pirate4x4.com and keeping tabs on the major vendors of the chinese plasmas.

It seems like all the machines are the same, the main factor is the quality of service you get from the vendor in case something goes wrong.

On WeldingWeb, Longevity doesn't seem to have the best rep. They won't discuss warranty issues in public, don't have many favorable threads, and one of the main reps sometimes comes off as arrogant and hostile.

Everlast seems a bit better but they also moderate their forum and close threads that they don't like. It's hard to assess either company, it seems like they promote all the good things said about them and actively try to silence the bad rather than get at the heart of the issue.

Parker is in the same boat as Longevity and Everlast in that they seem to have good products but their customer service is lacking. Phil Sr comes off as a **** (insert your negative word of choice) in many of his responses and has a take it or leave it attitude. While he doesn't close threads or back away from criticism, he does get involved in name calling and other tactics that strike me as childish.

HarborFreight isn't too far off with their pricing and offers the convenience of a storefront. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any warrantied product from them if all else was equal, they've never shied away from replacing a warranty claim. If I had to pick from one of the four companies mentioned above, I'd go with HF.

All that being said, I'll probably go the Hypertherm route when my time comes even though it's a pricier machine. Their rep, JimColt, is all over the messaging boards and ALWAYS gives thought-out, polite, customer oriented replies and is always quick to offer help. The Hypertherm 30 is about $1k which is about $400 more than the Chinese units but if you catch it on sale you can close the price gap even more. It'll cut up to 5/8, is small and lightweight, and has a cult-like following.

In the end, I feel like Hypertherm will be there to help me out 10 years down the road if/when something goes without all the drama that I might get from Longevity, Everlast, or Parker.

Last edited:

ExploringNH

Explorer
I bought a Longevity unit a couple of years ago and it works great. I really can't comment on customer service since I have never had to call. A friend of mine just bought a longevity as well and he is very happy with it. If I had to do it over again I would make the same decision.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
cuts up to 1/2 inch steel

This might be the criterion that hangs you up. Getting a 1/2" cut (clean) is going to be a bit tough. I've used good name-branch plasma cutters that have started to bevel the cuts with anything over 1/4", so if you really need a 1/2" cut you'll be looking at a BIG unit.

Just a thought - plasma is great for quick, clean, and easy cuts to SHEET, but when you're cutting PLATE, I'd strongly recommend looking at Oxy/Fuel. It isn't sexy and it can be a bit messy, but even a cheap Harbor Freight Oxy/Fuel rig will let you cut REALLY big stuff, as well as heat (for bending, forging, or stuck parts) and weld, if you care to learn. You'll almost certainly have less grinding to clean up an oxy cut to 1/2" steel than if you try to use an undersized plasma cutter.

My $0.02

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
I'll be adding a Hypertherm in the fall to my collection of tools. When is comes to electrical equipment that can see hard use I do not skimp.

That being said, the Everlast stuff seems to work well however if you have a problem be ready for headaches. As long as you are ready for the old... money saved at time of purchase is quickly forgotten... adage then there is nothing wrong with running an Everlast. Everything I have read says the units have good cutting power and characteristics. Besides it's just another way to go green lol!

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
I am slowly but surely collecting all the tools a man needs for building things.

First of all you're looking for the Holy Grail. You will never have all the tools you "need".:elkgrin:

On something like this I'd go name brand for sure. Most of them are pretty good these days. Hypertherm is always a good choice.
As was mentioned, your requirement of cutting 1/2" may put you into a bigger(more $$$$) machine depending on the quality of cut you desire. Most of the smaller machines will drop 1/2" with a couple passes but it's not pretty.

stewwalker

Observer
To be honest I cant think of any project that will require me to cut 1/2 inch steel. I just want to make sure that if I do need it to cut thick stuff one day it will. I have access to a oxy torch and have used it on many projects but for some reason I just don't like using torches. (to messy and time consuming) Plus no one els on my block has a plasma cutter in their garage...

4671 Hybrid

Adventurer
Here's a thread with pictures of what the PowerMax 30 can do. I've also read that it can cut 3/4" and after seeing the 5/8" picture, I'm inclined to believe it.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=37426

And just to further clarify my earlier post, I think a chinese plasma can fit your needs and the odds are in favor of it working reliably. BUT, if something does go wrong I haven't been impressed by any of the vendors when it comes to taking care of the customer, with the exception of Harbor Freight.

irishjeeper

Check into Eastwood Tools, they have a nice Plasma cutter, made right here in the USA in Pa in fact, For just under 500.00, and they just offered a great deal on a Plasma cutter and a Tig welder for 1000.00. I just purcased my Tig a month ago and wish they had this deal. http://www.eastwood.com/ew-tig200-versa-cut-kit.html

The Tig uses the same consumables as most popular brands, and Im sure the Plasma will too. Most of the China ones dont and you have to order from them to replace them. I like to just make a trip to local welding supply store. Cuts up to 3/8"s uses 110 or 220.

Hope this helps, I can tell you that the Tig works great and is pretty easy to use and Ive never Tig welded before. So if the plasma is as easy Ill be very happy.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
As mentioned, plasma cutters which are small enough to run on standard household voltage and current (220V ~50A) really suck at cutting anything over 1/4". I used to have a 50A plasma and it was fine up to 1/4", but anything over and the bevel was too much to work around. Between that issue, and the fact that plasma cutters put really really really really bad vaporized metal dust in the air which sticks to everything and is really terrible to breath in, I got rid of it. I have a very nice oxy/acy gas setup which does all of my heavy and light cutting as well as the "heat wrench" duties which seem mandatory any time I'm working on a car older than 2 or 3 years old. If I have $400 to spend on "something" which needed to cut metal, I'd spring for a set of torches and a couple tank leases in a quick hurry. I won't have plasma in my shop again. They are convenient for something quick, but that is about where their benefit stops in my opinion.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
As mentioned, plasma cutters which are small enough to run on standard household voltage and current (220V ~50A) really suck at cutting anything over 1/4". I used to have a 50A plasma and it was fine up to 1/4", but anything over and the bevel was too much to work around. Between that issue, and the fact that plasma cutters put really really really really bad vaporized metal dust in the air which sticks to everything and is really terrible to breath in, I got rid of it. I have a very nice oxy/acy gas setup which does all of my heavy and light cutting as well as the "heat wrench" duties which seem mandatory any time I'm working on a car older than 2 or 3 years old. If I have $400 to spend on "something" which needed to cut metal, I'd spring for a set of torches and a couple tank leases in a quick hurry. I won't have plasma in my shop again. They are convenient for something quick, but that is about where their benefit stops in my opinion.

A torch comes before a plasma and since the OP said he was collecting tools I hope he has one first. I've used a plasma cutter and they are cool. I instead have chosen to spend my tool money on other things like a better compressor, Mig, press and band saw. With a die grinder or 4 1/2" grinder I score my line to be cut and use the touch for the final cut. It's not as neat as a plasma but with my crappy welding skills I got very handy with a grinder to clean up the cuts.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
If I need to be "precise" with my torch cutting (and this applies to all torches, electric plasma or gas), I make sacrificial patterns from 3/4" plywood and hot glue strong magnets to the bottom. stick them to the metal being cut, use them as a physical guide. Don't forget to account for the centerline distance between the edge of the torch tip and the center of the tip. Another quick trick involves just a 1/2"x2" steel bar as a straightedge clamped to the plate you're cutting...you won't get a cleaner line without a CNC table. If you know your torch and regulator pressures, you can make a cut which is equally as clean and slag-free as any plasma torch.

Lots and lots and lots of tricks out there.

FEDUPWBS

Observer
I have a Miller 375 extreme and love it. Its good to at least 3/8" and very compact and reliable. Can be found for under $1200. Any machine that will cut 1/2" clean will be BIG and Expensive!

Jeff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior