Q-LJ78G concerns

blackyman7

New to this, recommended from a friend. Just got a LJ78G 1992 Land Cruiser Prado 2.4 L turbo diesel, 140k miles
New engine mounts New oil change
1)Been driving it for about a month, previous owner mentioned tranny leak, I’ve also noticed the slightest of slips when accelerating. (auto tranny) Any ideas/recommendations? Main concern with that is how to avoid further/irreversible damage.
2)On start ups it spews a lot of white smoke (100% smells like diesel), i’ve been told to not worry as it is a cold start but i live on a tropical island. Also im pretty sure ive noticed it is harder to climb hills lately/ i think it is losing power. Any ideas/recommendations?
3)I dont know which category this one belongs in as it pertains to both above, but climbing up super steep grades, i engaged the 4x4 and at some points the car slows down and jolts itself forward (im assuming it is putting in enough power)
I’m not super car savy/i really want to be as i want to be a good owner, especially for a car like this. Sorry for the lengthy post, I greatly appreciate any and all feedback!
10.0.0.0.1 192.168.1.254 hotmail.com

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
White smoke is not good. It is a hint of coolant in the combustion chamber and head gasket failure, which the 2LT is notorious for, along with cracked heads. I would spend a couple of hundred dollars and get a good diesel mechanic to look it over ASAP.

Your choice in vehicle is great though. You just may need to give it some love. It will love you back for a long time...

Which “tropical island” are you on? Sounds Guamish to me...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior