Question for 4Runner owners

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
I was looking at a 99 4Runner for a friend, and to me, it looks like something belongs in the compartment in the cargo area on the passenger side. There are straps, but nothing in there. Tool kit?

What should we look closely at in regards to potential problems?

Thanks,
Dave

98roamer

Explorer
I have a strap bracket bolted to the floor on the passenger side, but I thing that it is for strapping a baby seat in. I never really thought about it much still the husky liner covers it up.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
In my 2005 that is where the boxes containing the factory hitch ball mount and trailer wiring harness were strapped in.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
EXP-T100 said:
Are you talking about the side compartments? it will be the jack or lug wrench set.

No, all of that is under the rear seat in 3rd Gen 4Runners. He is talking about in the rear cargo area, on the passenger side, there is a little cubby. There was nothing in it in my last 4Runner.

Make sure the timing belt has been changed out (usually a sticker on the cover will indicate the mileage and date it was changed). See if the rear seal is leaking. Other than that, no real problems, unless the PO didn't take care of it.

ExploringNH

Explorer
On the overseas models, that compartment comes with a roadside emergency kit. The US models didnt have the kit, but still have the straps. The good news is that the straps are the perfect size for a fire extinguisher.

sami

Explorer
I strap an axe and a collapsable shovel into that rear passenger compartment.. Also carry an extra bottle neck jack.. 8 ton? You can never have too many bottle neck jacks..

I love my '99. Like said previously, check that the engine maint. has been done.. I'd take it to a reputable service shop familiar with the vehicle and pay to have it inspected. Most places have an inspection specifically for pre-purchasing vehicles.

My engine just started ticking while i was on a very demanding trip through southern Utah a few weeks ago. Sounds like a valve.. I'll have them adjusted when the time comes to do the timing belt again.. I'm at 157k miles now.. Keeps runnin strong..

Highly recommend the vehicle.. 99's also had taller springs than most all other years of 4runners ;)

-Jason

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Well, this is not related to the straps question, but a 4 runner question in general. Of the 96-03? 4runners, is there any specific trim level i should look for for the elocker? Was it standard on any model in particular? Is it really common or fairly rare? Thanks in advance for any input.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
datrupr said:
Well, this is not related to the straps question, but a 4 runner question in general. Of the 96-03? 4runners, is there any specific trim level i should look for for the elocker? Was it standard on any model in particular? Is it really common or fairly rare? Thanks in advance for any input.

E-Lockers only came on 96-00 models (3rd Gen 4Runners cover 96-02), with the exception of the brand new 2009 Trail Edition. Generally, most of the Limited's I've seen had one. SR5 was a crap shoot. In 99-00, they made a "Highlander Edition", which was pretty much a Sport Edition (with a scooped hood and color-keyed bumpers), and they were found on those quite often. Remember that it was an option, so not a lot of people put it on, much less knew what it did.

shawkins

Adventurer
datrupr said:
Every '96-'00 Limited 4Runner I have seen has had the E-locker.

toy_tek

Adventurer
Cackalak Han said:
See if the rear seal is leaking.

I think you meant the rear axle seals. Those are noted as problematic. Look for wetness at the bottom of the brake backing plate.

I haven't taken note of any rear (crank,main) seal issues, or at least isn't common.

The other common issue is front brakes. They tend to warp rotors. This is often due to the aforementioned rear axle seals leaking and soaking the rear brakes making them useless. The warped rotor fix is replacing with quality aftermarket such as Brembo (not OEM), and ensuring the rear brakes are adjusted properly. There are guys that upgrade to Tundra brakes but it isn't really necessary.

Steering rack bushings will most likely need replaced. Replacement poly kit is $17 from Wheelers offroad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12