Question for Subaru owners - where do you mount solar controller and battery?

drabina

I just sold my full size SUV (Toyota Sequoia) and purchased a 2012 Subaru Outback. I managed to squeeze about 70% of my usual gear under the trunk's floor but I definitely took a hit when it comes to storage space and cubbies. But gained about 10mpg in a process so all is good.

Anyway, I want to transfer my roof rack which has traction boards and solar panel onto the new car. The problem I have is where to put the small 50Ah LifePO4 battery and solar controller. With Outback's spare wheel located under the trunk's floor, I can't really build any additional storage like a drawer system there as I will need access to this area. For other stuff, I can just use a plastic container which I can easily remove but the solar controller and battery would have to be mounted permanently but still allow me to remove the floor panel to access a spare wheel.

So I am looking for ideas. Anybody in an Outback or Forester running small solar panel setup and can share their solution?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
It comes in a plastic box with a battery and all the bits. Bluetti is a good one.
I had a Sequoia and a Outback. Sold em both got a Expedition to replace them. 18-23mpg averages vs my 19-26mpg with the Outback and 11-15mpg in the Sequoia.

Pretty happy with the Expedition

You’re going to lose your 10 mpg advantage by adding something to the roof. You didn’t say what you’re powering with your battery but you may be better off to use a bigger battery and a fold out panel when at camp.

Of course it all depends on how often you move. I ran an Engle of my 4Runners starting battery for years. I tend to not stay in one place to long so it wasn’t a problem. Just replace your starting battery with a Odysee, or the like, with more amp hours. You can also keep one of those rechargeable jump start things just in case.

I don’t currently have a Subaru but had a Forester for 12 years and 270k miles.

Last edited:

drabina

The battery powers refrigerator that's mounted in the car. I do have a power station as a secondary power source but that usually gets transferred to the tent when camping. The LiFePO4 battery stays in the car to run fridge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior