Question on portable power station "physical" storage when not in use?

DC DII

Found myself looking across my office/camping storage room yesterday looking at my Bluetti EB55 which I have kept on a bench in there...

To the point: Where do folks store these when not in use?

I have always kept camping/"overlanding" and my moto gear inside (climate controlled) - and being in Texas the garage just gets too hot at times.

The battery is not hooked up or charging - generally charge up every 4-6 months to top off but otherwise just sits there.

The EB55 is the LiFePO4 Battery and really haven't read much on any issues...just curious. Risk in everything I suppose...

Thanks,
Erik

rcintx

Adventurer
Good question. I have a unit on order and will follow for answers. I was considering using as a battery backup for my PC/internet at home while not using it in the field. In that case it would always be plugged in. Bad idea?

Reactions: plh

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The manufacturer will have recommended environmental conditions for use and storage. I'd speculate that it's likely they'll give a few working ranges. Charge probably something like 0°C to 45°C, discharge -20°C to 60°C and storage -10°C to 50°C.

LiFePO4 batteries and cells, like all types, may be subjected to various standards tests for damage and safety, if that's what you're wondering.

One such is IEC 62133 for non-acid electrolyte cells. Within this there is what's known as a thermal abuse test where a fully charged battery is raised to 130°C and held there for 10 minutes if under 500 grams or 30 minutes if a mass greater than 500 grams. No damage (such as leakage) should be observed. The battery may not still work but it won't have blown your garage wall off at least.

There's no harm is storing batteries in uncontrolled environments as long as they fall into whatever conditions the manual says. Keeping them inside in favorable temps and away from UV and chemicals is only going to help them last longer but isn't absolutely necessary.

Same with charging. Follow what the manual says. If it says charge fully and let sit, do that. If it says float is OK or preferred do that. I'd guess lithium will say charge fully and disconnect. It shouldn't have much self discharge between uses and periodically charging one probably won't be needed. But there again the manufacturer may give guidance.

You usually don't need and often do not want to try to run a charge an already fully charged lithium battery. Rule of thumb is not to start a charge until a lithium battery is 80% or lower.

With a portable pack (as opposed to a plain battery) there may be significant loads built in, inverters, control panels, etc. that will draw the battery down even unused, so how long it can be stored will be more than just what a LiFePO4 battery itself can. This can vary greatly depending on the who designed the circuits in the box. Some designers are more clever than others about powered off loads or know tricks how to get things to sleep.

Last edited:

DC DII

The manufacturer will have recommended environmental conditions for use and storage. I'd speculate that it's likely they'll give a few working ranges. Charge probably something like 0°C to 45°C, discharge -20°C to 60°C and storage -10°C to 50°C.

LiFePO4 batteries and cells, like all types, may be subjected to various standards tests for damage and safety, if that's what you're wondering.

One such is IEC 62133 for non-acid electrolyte cells. Within this there is what's known as a thermal abuse test where a fully charged battery is raised to 130°C and held there for 10 minutes if under 500 grams or 30 minutes if a mass greater than 500 grams. No damage (such as leakage) should be observed.

There's no harm is storing batteries in uncontrolled environments as long as they fall into whatever conditions the manual says. Keeping them inside in favorable temps and away from UV and chemicals is only going to help them last longer but isn't absolutely necessary.

Same with charging. Follow what the manual says. If it says charge fully and let sit, do that. If it says float is OK or preferred do that. I'd guess lithium will say charge fully and disconnect. It shouldn't have much self discharge between uses and periodically charging one probably won't be needed. But there again the manufacturer may give guidance. You usually don't need and often do not want to try to run a charge an already fully charged lithium battery.

Yes, for my battery, fully charged and disconnect...seems from other forums, about every 6 months is a standard.

Friend of mine (who owns a few and different brands) just hit me up about a fire that burned down a cabin/camping hut.

Not sure of the specifics but it had to do with a 'portable battery'.

For me just wanted to float the question if others have had similar concerns as I know a lot of us store in vehicles, garages, etc...

Last edited:

DC DII

Good question. I have a unit on order and will follow for answers. I was considering using as a battery backup for my PC/internet at home while not using it in the field. In that case it would always be plugged in. Bad idea?

Hopefully someone can answer your question. I am just getting into the camping/overlanding battery powered world.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Yes, for my battery, fully charged and disconnect...seems from other forums, about every 6 months is a standard.

Friend of mine (who owns a few and different brands) just hit me up about a fire that burnt down a cabin/camping hut.

Not sure of the specifics but it had to do with a 'portable battery'.

For me just wanted to float the question if others have had similar concerns as I know a lot of us store in vehicles, garages, etc...
There's a lot of misnomers and confusion when people talk lithium. LiFePO4 (and lead-acid FWIW) is generally pretty safe and stable. You have to make an effort to cause an issue.

Lithium-ions are the ones that you have to watch that can more easily go into thermal runaway.

So it's speculation without good technical details. But if one were to speculate I'd bet that a "portable battery" could be like the packs people carry around to charge phones or a jump box and not a big one that you'd see running fridges. It's not impossible, though, if the thing is packed with 18650 cells, which are Li-ion and you have to have some care in handling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior