Quick Intro and First ??

michel77

Adventurer
Hey Guys and Gals,

Well, we're now officially part of the Monty Club! I flew down to Vegas last week and made my way up to beautiful St. George, UT to pick up a familiar '03 Monty, ImNoSaint's very well outfitted rig!

I drove back up to Seattle and am really impressed with handling, mileage (previous truck was an 80-Series Land Cruiser, so this is a huge improvement...) and comfort! I spent my weekend replacing front brakes as they were getting pretty tired but had to get it to a shop to diagnose an emissions issue as we failed the smog test. Initially suspected a faulty oxygen sensor, but this is what the shop had to say about it:

"Failed emissions due to lean bank one and bank two codes (P0171 and P0174). Scanned computer, found long term fuel trim stuck at 12.5%. Found vacuum leak at intake manifold plenum valve assembly, recommend replacing this part to correct lean condition"

Unfortunately, this is a $900 part according to the tech, another $500 labor to get it replaced.. Before I commit that kind of investment, I figured I'd ask here first to see if anyone has had any experience with intake vacuum leaks, troubleshooting, etc.? I am considering driving it through the winter as is (no driveability issues, MPG's may be up a bit but not too worried about that), and when it comes time to do timing belt/water pump in the spring just rip into the intake as well and see if I can find an issue or leaking gasket to cause this issue. There is an exhaust gasket leak as well by the way, don't think that contributes to lean running though?

Anyway, hope someone may have some input. Otherwise, happy to be part of the club and big shout-out to Eric for holding the car for me and for a smooth transaction, cheers!

Pic in her new hometown, canine approved :)

michel77

Adventurer
Also, I noticed a few locals here on the Mitsubishi forums! Anyone fancy a meet-up or trail run some time?

Evo666

Observer
I have yet to take my 2.5 on any trails. I wouldn't mind meeting up sometimes.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Jaynen

Adventurer
Hey guys, I have a Gen 3 and am Seattle as well (Lynnwood) I just went on my first run with my 3 day old day stock rig. I recommend connecting with the guys over on nwoverland that is who I just went with and seems like a great bunch of family friendly chill people. I don't know about lean banks but I know that these have 4 oxygen sensors and mine just had 2 replaced and I was told to watch for needing to replace the other two. What size tires are those? is it lifted? I like how it looks with the body cladding removed

1425784_10151686837966876_1887854253_n.jpg

536951_10151686838016876_1530510953_n.jpg

Jaynen

Adventurer
Yeah did not get any pics of the harder stuff. We went up this one road and back tracked once the small trees on the side of the road were drumming the sides of the vehicles like a car wash. I think most of the scratches will buff out, but even on all seasons the montero went up everything. There was a couple tank traps and some decent rock patches that I thought we might have trouble with but nope.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I'mNoSaint turned that into the coolest looking 3rd gen I have seen around, too bad he had to sell it but I'm sure he will get another in the future.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
my favorite 3rd gen on expo is back. Awesome, welcome on board.

Sorry cant help you much with the emissions issue. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears