Quick tire thread question

At1Maverick

I'm not sure if it applies to my 95 SR, but I've worked as technician for a while not and have always been told that it's a good idea to have a matching set of tires on a 4x4, but of course working for companies that has sales as their top priority, I tend to not really follow.

But now that i actually have a 4x4, I have to make sure I'm not actually screwing something up by having highway tires on the front wheels and some all-terrains on the rears. I haven't really used the 4WD and it's usually just for daily driving now, so I'm thinking I should be ok. I still have a couple of months before I could but 2 more AT tires. So, in you guys' experience, should I follow the tire shops golden rule of running the same design all the way around?

Thanks in advance!

Clem

Adventurer
In an ideal world all vehicles would have matching tires all the way around...I wouldn't worry about it. When you have the funds, put matching tires on.

HTH,

Clem

ultrakill

Adventurer
Yeah I agree, as long as the 2 front tires match (size and design) and 2 rear tires match the same it shouldn't matter. You do want to not wait too long, so when you have a matching set of 4 (or 5) you can do rotations every 5,000 miles (or less) to have even wear and good tread on all the tires.

At1Maverick

Cool, thanks guys. Just wanted to ask, but yeah, gonna try not to wait too long. I just thought I'd ask too, I know the truck is older in comparison, but I had previously had an experience with a customer's Evo 9 who had ignored this rule of thumb and ended up having a center diff noise and other issues. I know there's differences between an AWD car and a 4x4, but wanted to make sure anyway.

Thanks again!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Tread & construction (or weight) not that important. Having the same Size is important, because when all the diff's are locked, everything needs to turn at the same time, or you'll find the weak link in the system :)

plh

Explorer
I wouldn't do it, but if you are comfortable with it then do as you wish.

I agree with J&M. At least check the manufactures web site for measurement specs. Different manufactures, and/or models measurements can be significantly different for the "same" size tire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman