Race fuel in a Coleman dual fuel?

Lykos

Super Trucker
I have access to 116 octane race fuel at a cost a couple dollars a gallon less than Coleman white gas.

So, before a video of me blowing myself up with a camp stove goes viral I'll ask;
will it work?
is it worth it?
will I get more BTUs than with regular non ethanol unleaded?

Lykos

Super Trucker
It will actually burn very dirty and create a lot of carbon around the burners due to having a much higher ignition/flash point and will not completely burn. And BTW, this is the listing for all of your local ethanol-free gas pumps http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=VA

Goes to show what I know about gas. I would've thought the high octane gas would burn hotter and therefore cleaner.

My XJ loves non ethanol gas. :)

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Goes to show what I know about gas. I would've thought the high octane gas would burn hotter and therefore cleaner.

My XJ loves non ethanol gas. :)

The higher the octane the harder it is to ignite, this is why it is used in race engines with a hotter spark/ignition setup to prevent pre-ignition/pinging. I run ethanol-free in our boat and all of our yard equipment at home, it is more expensive but still cheaper in the long run because the motors last longer with fewer carb issues.

Lykos

Super Trucker
I truly appreciate the responses. I'll leave the rave has in my brother's TA.

I'm aware of the pitfalls of ethanol gas. Myself and even my rescue squad learned the hard way it's affect on small engines that aren't used often.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Around here, ethanol-free 91 is $15/gallon in five gallon drums. No lead, but no ethanol. I only use it in my pressure washers and yard equipment, too expensive for the truck.

Hobiecat

Observer
A gallon of white gas is like $15 at the local hardware store and lasts me an entire summer. Small price to pay for cooking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12