Ram 3500 - Spare tire options for 37s.

Inline6

Adventurer
@Longship I put receiver tube on the driver side of the bed sub frame to mount the hitch or what ever I want. The fancy hitch only gets used on long hauls and I wanted some place to store it, its to big to sit inside the cab. Having the hitch always with me was easier than storing it in th house and moving it around, its quite heavy. I may try to mount some gerry cans there, or some other small box for more tools. Having everything I need on the truck has been nice.

I used the receiver tube as vertical mounting points as well on 4 sides of the bed. They could be used for many things, but nothing has become functional from them yet, well besides some additional tie down points.

I do like the flat bed more than the normal bed. I can place about anything where ever I want and don't always need to clime in and out of the bed to get to things or lift them over the side of the bed. Works better for me on a daily basis than the stock bed. Not that its my daily truck, thinking its just over 120K miles and I bought it new in 04.

With the wilco gate I usually had the tire inside so it was never in the way of towing. When flipped outside it was not in the way either, but I was just towing flat bed trailers with jeeps. It stuck out say about 2 feet of overhang, if using the vertical one say 18 inches at the most, should not be a big deal.

RCP

Has anyone run 37's on their truck, but with a 35" spare? I know it wouldn't be ideal, but over a short distance would the 2" diameter difference lead to long term issues? I am just thinking it would be similar to running a space saver spare on a passenger car, put it on the steer axle and use it to limp to a tire shop. Or is the risk not worth the convience of being able to keep the spare under the truck?

ttengineer

Adventurer
Has anyone run 37's on their truck, but with a 35" spare? I know it wouldn't be ideal, but over a short distance would the 2" diameter difference lead to long term issues? I am just thinking it would be similar to running a space saver spare on a passenger car, put it on the steer axle and use it to limp to a tire shop. Or is the risk not worth the convience of being able to keep the spare under the truck?

As I noted above, I think that is the ideal solution for cost vs convenience.

As long as you don’t use it on a limited slip or locked diff it would be fine to limp to a tire shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trestle

Throw it on the front if you have a limited slip or locker in the back, and you should be good to go. You might set of some type of sensor that would correct once things were back to normal. You might have to do the front to rear tire shuffle to get to that point though.

BikePilot

@Kingsize24 - Thanks for the details. If they've improved their game i'd like to give them a shot, but i have no time for that number of issues.

@ramblinChet - Those are good finds; thank you. Did you get rid of the original tailgate or keep it around?

@CFMGarage - I'd be open to a custom bumper if these guys can do it. I'm going to give them a call.

@Inline6 - Very nice design. I could see myself doing something like this down the line on a dedicated truck, right now i drive this truck around town as well so i don't want to chop it. What do you put on the left side with the vertical hitch

For some reason i don't really like the rear hitch mounted ones. I'm going to give them another look. Maybe i need multiple solutions. I might do the nuthouse mount above the bed and maybe a hitch mount for times that i have motorcycles.

General (potentially dumb) question - when does a bumper mounted tire interfere with towing a trailer. Is it on tighter radius turns or is the trailer not long enough to reach the hitch?

Thanks again

Bumper or tail gate mounted would be in the way of a gooseneck or 5th wheel trailer. Depending on the details of the tire mount and trailer a bumper pull trailer may still work ok.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I've gone through a similar thought process, rejecting all for good reasons. I have the Carli Dominator suspension on my truck and recently they developed a way to fit 37" in the standard location on Fords. Evidently it's impossible on rams.

Too bad there isn't a bumper option that doesn't come with several issues.
What did they do stretch the frame?

BikePilot

I recently picked up a hitch mounted tire carrier (ultraswing Megafit). I didn't like how much bed space the tire took up for camping trips so I'm going to give this a shot.
9c5b9ffa95090aa839c47aef9c22498e.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Kingsize24

I recently picked up a hitch mounted tire carrier (ultraswing Megafit). I didn't like how much bed space the tire took up for camping trips so I'm going to give this a shot.
9c5b9ffa95090aa839c47aef9c22498e.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Update us on the performance of it over the years. Will be interesting to know how it will function for a long term solution. I hope you have great luck with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior