Ram or Prefilter snorkel?

Jkfisher84

Adventurer
Looking for opinions and or facts on which is better. I have a Ram right now but been kinda iffy on the idea compared to the prefilter. Just looking for an overall pro/con. For a 10' JKU

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
I run the pre-filter since most of the trails around me and even up north a little are very dusty, and since I normally dont go alone I am typically in the back eating dust. Now I dont worry and the peace of mind is nice too. As for looks I like the ram better.
bump1.jpg

Rubicon John

Observer
I run the pre-filter since most of the trails around me and even up north a little are very dusty, and since I normally dont go alone I am typically in the back eating dust. Now I dont worry and the peace of mind is nice too. As for looks I like the ram better.
View attachment 169554

You've got one of the nicest looking JKs! Love the way you built it.

I run the ram air style snorkel, but would consider a pre-filter if I could find one for the RR XHD.

Jkfisher84

Adventurer
interesting so i guess ill be keeping the ram haha, mostly find myself in wet wood conditions so was just wondering

UnlimiDozer

Observer
View attachment 169554
This! High Sierra trails get really dusty in Summer. And 3rd or 4th, or farther back in line makes it pretty nasty for the air filter. Any help is worth it IMO. I plan on running the pre-filter when I get my AEV snorkel. Just wish they would've left the old design alone; I liked the clear bowl so you could see what it was catching. The new design is solid and is a maintenance free design -- stuff just falls through so you never really know what it caught, except that it doesn't show up on the filter. :) Also don't like that they made it where you have to buy both to get the pre-filter on the gen. 2. Kind of a double whammy to raise the price and then force you to buy a ram that you'll never use. :(

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
I've been wanting to get a pre-filter for my RR XHD snorkel as well. I still plan on running the ram while daily driving and only switching to the bowl when conditions warrant it unless I don't notice any performance difference. My hold up is trying to find reliable CFM data for the 3.6L to pick the right bowl; I've only managed to find the 3.8L flow requirements.

Jkfisher84

Adventurer
I've been wanting to get a pre-filter for my RR XHD snorkel as well. I still plan on running the ram while daily driving and only switching to the bowl when conditions warrant it unless I don't notice any performance difference. My hold up is trying to find reliable CFM data for the 3.6L to pick the right bowl; I've only managed to find the 3.8L flow requirements.

would a donaldson prefilter work on the RR?

Jkfisher84

Adventurer
and a landrover fella told me there is a sponge out there that you can stuff in a ram filter, with securing it and its best of both worlds

ex m38a1er

Adventurer
I've been building a custom snorkel for my TJ for some time now...
o.jpg
ii.jpg
DSC00560_zps4d3cc4e6.jpg
I'd like to use a prefilter.
Anyone knows how to choose the size of the prefilter depending on engine size(2.4L)?

Cedo Nulli

Observer
The pre-filter bowls are great in high dust areas. Also, if you're running on-board air, going with an oil-less air box filter (like an aFe) will allow you to pull the filter and blow it out at the end of the day. We use this same technique with the emergency air line on our tactical vehicles in the desert...blowing out the paper filters at the end of mission. Just make sure you're not blowing the dust further IN the filter...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior