random rx w/uniden pro 538w

recently installed this in my truck to replace my cobra 75. first night i got it in it worked really well. could not get the tanding wave down below 3.5 or so, though. it worked really good fro about 2 weeks and then the recieving went to crap. i still sound good when i transmit bu the recieving sucks. thus evenign i turne d the radio off for about 3 hours and when i drove past the truck this evening i could here everything for probably 1.5 miles threw hilly terrain. so what gives.

truck specs.
2008 d cab tacoma uniden pro 538w wired to positive and negative sides of battery with mini fuse holder and 2 amp fuse at the battery and at the cb. belden cable 14awg for the power to the cb threw factory bulk head connection hole in the fire wall to the center console

4' firestick antenna w/ 18' of firestick fire ring coax w/ excess coiled up under center console. antenna mounted on driver side front fender.

ireally like this cb and want it to work. any help would be greatly appriciated because i am not that godd with the cb knowledge.

thanks
jake

gary in ohio

Explorer
If it was working, then stopped and then started again I would look at the coax, Did you get water into the coax and now its dried out?

Also how are you determining that the receiver is not working well?

it is a fire ring coax meaning a bolt goes threw a ring and then into the antenna. im not sure how water would get into the coax.

i was checking the recieving by talking to my buddy on his cb. he was on top of a hill (his base cb) and i was in my truck at eh bottom of the hill.

minus a few trees line of sight for .5 mile.

i could also turn the squelch all the down and the rf gain all the up and get NO static at all.

also to add. this mornign it is rainig and did all night long and the radio is functioning perfect. wierd.

thanks
jake

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
hillbillyjake said:
18' of ... coax[/quote[

Try getting a proper-length coax that runs simply between your antenna and the radio with no extra. The only reason they sell 18' of coax is so that it can act like a 1/2 counterpoise which as we trust you're mounting the antenna correctly should not be needed.

the night i was havign the problems with my radio i finally gto mad and turned it off. about 3 hours later i turned it back on and it was working fine. i have continued since then to alwasys turn it off when my truck was going to be off for a long period and has worked great. why?

jake

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior