rear bumper fab: blank slate

dustboy

Explorer
I like your bumper build. It is simple, strong, and functional. I am planning on doing something similar with my 4runner.

In retrospect, I may add some kind of gusset to where the stays butt into the main bar. I think under load, the wall of the 4x4 tube could distort, or my amateur welds could fail.

frgtwn

Adventurer
swing-out on right?

Where do you want your spare to be when you pull off the road and need in the back? In North America, that's the right, and due to the crown of a road, the downhill side. Also, the spare is not on the traffic side.

The question becomes even more interesting with a double swing-out. Tire on the left or tire on the right? There are good reasons for each. The best part is, put it where you want it.

Oh, and edit to add, think about using tamper resistant screws on license plates. Recent plates seem to have a certain street value, at least around here. My rear one disappeared a few months ago. Just another DMV hassle, and more dollars wasted. My response was six screws and 10 more minutes of work. Google pulled up this:

http://www.brycefastener.com/

Dale

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12