Rear leaf suggestions?

saburai

Explorer
Hi Gang!

Right now the rear leafs are a Rusty's 3" spring pack w/ 1.5" shackles.

I've been carrying about 100-150# of tools and gear in the back. I recently added a few things...
A stout compressor, maybe 40#, a swing out tire/2X jerry can/Hi-lift carrier rear bumper. I'm building a rear deck/drawer set up and I'll add a 20-30L water tank, probably add a pul-pal too. And then there is about 130# of RTT coming:Wow1:

I feel the difference over the road now, not bad, but I feel it. I'm sure it will likley be a bit under sprung off road.

Come to think of it, with the the winch bumper and dual batteries coming it might need a coil up grade in the front too...

Thoughts, Ideas and comments welcome - please:sombrero:

Desert Dan

Explorer
Look into Old Man Emu rear spring packs or a spring shop to add some more leaves to your springs

more leaves are better

78Bronco

Explorer
Consider adding some airbags for the rear suspension. More thinner leaves are better than more thicker leaves. The air bags will allow you to level the load when carrying lots of weight or drop the air bag pressure when unloaded for still a cushy ride.

saburai

Explorer
Thanks for the input!

How would air bags work with suspension articulation, full flex in the rear? Which bag kit are you recommending?

Consider adding some airbags for the rear suspension. More thinner leaves are better than more thicker leaves. The air bags will allow you to level the load when carrying lots of weight or drop the air bag pressure when unloaded for still a cushy ride.

thecriscokid

Explorer
Alcan

I have a new set on order from Alcan in GJ Colorado. I do not have them installed yet so I cannot tell you about performance, but There customer service is top notch. I worked with Charles on the phone and he was more than patient with all of my loading concerns and questions for down the road options and mods. He also mentioned if I ever wanted to soften the pack they could change out a single leaf.
I do have some friends with a custom set and they have been happy with theirs.
Very reasonable as well. 277 per pack for my Tundra

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
You can allways add a leaf or two from your old pack to do what you want. If you don't have them then I'm sure sombody on your local 4x4 site has them laying around. If you want a better option then OME has full lenth add aleafs. They are as long as your main spring and a have a better arch for your lift springs. I run an OME 2.5" leaf pack with two OME full lenth leafs in it and one extra short spring against the perch. Dirk at DPG can have them drop shipped and I think I remember them ony being about 50 bucks a pair. For the front then the only spring you will find that is any stiffer is the Deaver coils. They only come in 5.5" so do your rear then cut the fronts with a die grinder or a cutoff disk on your angle grinder. They are the magic if you want a decient XJ.

cnskate

Adventurer
With all that weight you are planning you will be undersprung with the OME and one AAL based on my experience. The HD OME leafs aren't very HD in my experience.

78Bronco

Explorer
How would air bags work with suspension articulation, full flex in the rear? Which bag kit are you recommending?

Airbags come in all sorts of sizes (diameter and length) so you have many options. Some have 12" travel some only 6" so you need to find the right combi. I like that they are infinetly adjustable based on what you require at the time. Adding a leaf may be the cheapest option and would work great when you have the additional load but when you are unloaded they may stiffen the ride to the point of unbearable.

I'm just throwing the idea out there, something to consider.

I've heard really good things about Alcan springs but they come with a hefty price tag.

xr8dxj

Adventurer
I have a new set on order from Alcan in GJ Colorado...
x2for ALCANs. I have their 10" spring pack in my XJ and it settles at 9" with my 300-lbs of tools I carry. And I get a fair bit of flex outta them. My next move is lowering the XJ two inches and going to 40's. :victory:
pic2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78