Rec-Specialties Moab - At Overland Expo East 2023

Steve_382

One thing I noticed from their website is that they are made near Elkhart IN. Looks like they used to provide rebuilds on large Class A and custom stuff, but I have no idea what the interiors looked like.

Steve_382

Just thought I would bump this one more time to see if anyone looked at these or talked to them. Their website is pretty sad.

Adventr.us

I stopped in to see their stuff - both the F550 and the Acela-based rig. Nice guys, very helpful. For my application - I felt like there were some obvious things where they were coming at it from a traditional RV angle rather than from an off-grid/overlanding angle. Honestly I can't remember the details. I just decided pretty quickly, it probably wasn't a solution for our use case, and moved on. But it seemed they were flexible and willing to customize stuff, so it could well be a great solution for someone. (That's all I got ... sorry :)

Steve_382

I stopped in to see their stuff - both the F550 and the Acela-based rig. Nice guys, very helpful. For my application - I felt like there were some obvious things where they were coming at it from a traditional RV angle rather than from an off-grid/overlanding angle. Honestly I can't remember the details. I just decided pretty quickly, it probably wasn't a solution for our use case, and moved on. But it seemed they were flexible and willing to customize stuff, so it could well be a great solution for someone. (That's all I got ... sorry :)
I wondered if the Elkhart connection might push them that direction. Not sure they are going to make a go of it anyhow. Thanks for the reply.

Looks like there is an interesting trend of builders creating RV's that kind of look like and have some functionality of an Overlander, but really aren't engineered for the task (i.e. GRID, RexRover, maybe Truckhouse, etc...) Unfortunately they are also starting to creep into the Overlander price point as well :/ Just my opinion...not sure if anyone else is getting the same sense...

BuckinghamBuilt

I had a good look at their cab over model which is a 2004 Stewart and Stevenson chassis with 11K miles on it. I didn't "kick the tires but the quality on the inside seemed okay plus I like the factor they used 48v system for DC.

I passed o the truck due to the use of dually setup for the rear tires.

I looked at the MOAB blurb in a recent previous thread somewhat carefully. Unbelievably, it appears to have electric heat of the camper with no diesel heating, not even mentioned as an option.
By both observation (I use 2 x 700w Hornet aircraft heaters to keep my camper at ~40F all winter, requires ~ 17-20w per deg F differential) and calculation (Conduction calculated counting walls and also windows and roof vents), at 0F one would need ~1500w to heat my 4.8m (16’) camper to ~70-75F.
That would exhaust a fully charged 20kwh Li battery bank overnight.
This doesn’t even consider domestic hot water.
Solar panels aren’t terribly helpful in winter, when it’s snowing, etc.
Even a modest Webasto or Espar 5kw (17000 btu/h) heater would consume only ~ 1 gal diesel in 24h, heating up to 70-75F in 0F ambient. And on a ~35% duty cycle.
If the thing has a diesel heater, please correct me.
PS: I love solar/induction for cooking, tried my new cooktop crossing Canada recently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior