Removable, light weight bug screen for truck cap.

shopkins

aka Glitch
Looking for opinions on a way to install removable bug screens in my truck cap for camping. my "new" cap has side windows that flip up like the rear ones normally do. problem is the lift struts stick in almost 2 inches leaving me no flat surface to put a screen right on the window. i'm thinking of using an epoxy to secure snaps around the perimeter of the window, a couple of inches out, and then installing snaps on a screen so that it will secure around the window. it won't look clean cut like the caps with sliding side windows, but it will be functional nonetheless. thoughts?

-Shaun

Do you have any pics of your inside of the camper. I have an aluminum ARE DCU camper that I have wooden framed screens screwed into the side of the aluminum frame of the camper. Sounds like you have a fiberglass cap that attaching might be done by Velcro. I can try to get some pics of my setup tomorrow.

shopkins

aka Glitch
Do you have any pics of your inside of the camper. I have an aluminum ARE DCU camper that I have wooden framed screens screwed into the side of the aluminum frame of the camper. Sounds like you have a fiberglass cap that attaching might be done by Velcro. I can try to get some pics of my setup tomorrow.

here are a few pictures

mezmochill

Is outside
How about epoxy 1/8 inch gauge x 1 inch wide flat stock pieces to inside and use magnets to hold the netting to the flat stock. Fast, cheap, easy, effective.

rayra

Expedition Leader
velcro strips (or snaps) on the inside of the shell around the periphery of the window frame, screen fabric with matching attachments, mounted so it's stretched taught across the inside of the opening.

JMacs

Observer
Here's an untested idea ( works great in my head for my trailer build. ) Take some of the metal ball pull chains, sew it around the perimeter of a nylon screen. Put some of the flexible strip magnets with the tape on the back around the window.

I got inspired by those cheap "self closing" screen doors you see on TV.

Hutchcab

velcro option

My cap has the "carpet" like headliner bit so I sewed the hook side of velcro to some screen material and then bound the edges with grosgrain. It just sticks to the carpet. Allows for super easy access, but secure and low profile while still wrapping around the strut supports.

You could easily put the other side of the velcro on your cap if you used the stick on stuff, just don't try to sew through it, its a pain. My wife made our first version of these for a trip to Baja and just stuck the velcro to the screen, it worked for a while.

Here's a (poor) pic with my interim hand me down bed platform...

IMG_4685.jpg

mkitchen

Explorer
Here's my solution

I have screens for the side and end of my shell. A shell can warm up pretty fast but with these screens, the shell works great. I had them made of heavy duty screening material that can be had from a hardware store or upholstery supply or go the an upholstery shop and have them make it. I did the latter as I don't have the skills or equipment to do it. The covers snap on to snaps that are screwed into the shell. At least here in the southwest, I have found that velcro that is glued to something does not hold up and it will eventually come off. I had a tent trailer for a while and had to redo all the parts that were velcro.

Here is a pic of how the screens look.

wufgub.jpg

Here is a shot of how I boxed the area around the lift bracket.

2zrdc0o.jpg

Though I do not have a picture of the back cover, it is the same but for the bottom. It snaps on to the shell on the top and sides and then I use a few magnets that I got at the hardware store to connect the cover to the tailgate. I did not want snaps on the inside of the tailgate (or anywhere on the tailgate for that matter. I have no doubt that the snaps would work as well with a fiberglass shell as with my metal one and if you do not have anywhere to mount snaps on the bottom, you could use the magnet idea as I do on the back. Also the covers roll up when not in use and take up very little space.
With the covers snapped on, I can comfortably lay in bed and read, play cards etc with as many lights on as I want and not have any issue with bugs and the shell stays as cool as the outside temp.
Mikey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger