Removable mobile mount?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
For those of you with more than one vehicle, how practical is it to have some sort of removable mount for your mobile radio? Reason I ask is because I have two vehicles (a DD and my 4x4) and it would be nice to have a mobile in whatever vehicle I'm driving at the time.

I guess it would depend on the specific radio, in my case I'm most likely going to get a dual-band mobile with a separate faceplate, something like the Yaesu FT7900 (which seems to be one of the more "affordable" dual banders out there.)

Each vehicle would, of course, have its own antenna setup but it would be nice to not have to buy a 2nd radio and just be able to switch a radio between vehicles. I'm sure I'm not the only person who's been in this situation, so my guess is that many of you out there have already got this one figured out.

ETA: I realize that I could go to an HT, but I've owned HTs in the past and wasn't that impressed with their performance. I think an HT is a great way to augment a mobile, but I really want a mobile unit for off-road use as well as general utility.

Expedition Leader
I do that (alternate the same radio between two different 4WD trucks). Actually, I alternate two different radios too, a Kenwood TM-D710A and a Yaesu FT-2800M. I have the same Yaesu mounting bracket in each truck, and the Kenwood fits in that bracket too (with some nylon spacers and two more small holes drilled the Yaesu bracket), so I just have to undo the two machine screws on each side of either radio to remove it and change trucks. Both radios take the same "T" connector for power also.

xtatik

Explorer
My usual suggestion is to pick up a cheap HT. In your daily driver, I'll assume it's primarily around-town travel. If this is the case, you'll usually have well placed repeaters to work through, and an HT with a cheap mag-mount works just fine for this purpose. Additionally, you'll pick up the benefit of having HT flexibility in your offroad travels as well.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
My usual suggestion is to pick up a cheap HT. In your daily driver, I'll assume it's primarily around-town travel. If this is the case, you'll usually have well placed repeaters to work through, and an HT with a cheap mag-mount works just fine for this purpose. Additionally, you'll pick up the benefit of having HT flexibility in your offroad travels as well.

Actually, after much thought, that is exactly what I'll do. Unfortunately between needing new tires and some other unexpected expenses, there's no room in the budget for a radio. :( So it will have to wait a few months.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle