Removable Solar Panel Mount?

TheThom

Adventurer
I have a solar panel that I'm trying to figure out how to transport. It's 2'x4' and I'm rebuilding an old pop up camper. I don't want to permanently mount it to the roof because I don't want to be forced to park in the sun. I also don't really want to lug it in and out of the camper every time. It'd be nice to have it fastened to the roof and when I get to the campsite, I can unhook it, plug the charge cables in and place it in the sun. Then I could also charge it in place if I happen to be in the sun.

Has anybody done this or seen it done? I'd love to see ideas for a removable solar panel mount.

Jevy

Adventurer
sorry I can't answer your question but what you describe is exactly the set up I am thinking about.

Robert Bills

Explorer
Look here:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...le-or-Quick-Release-Solar-Panel-Mod-(show-me)

You could use a standard tilt mount and modify it with quick release pins. I couldn't find a photo of one already modified, but this photo should allow you to visualize how it can be done. The McMaster Carr catalog should have hardware that will work.

solar+panel+mount.jpg

Last edited:

DeMented Toys

Adventurer
I have the same sized solar panel and have had the exact same delima.... I think I have a solution. I found some alluminum sliding locking channel thing-a-ma-jigs that I was going to use to mount stuff to a kayak. Turns out they seem perfect to mount my solar panel to the roof, then easily slide it off when needed. That way I can park in the shade and move the pannel to the sunlight. I'll post pics ASAP because I know this is super vague. :) I may have pics in my build thread too. http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ed-Toys-500-Excellent-Adventure-Trailer-Build

TheThom

Adventurer
I've thought of something like this

The guy who built my trailer used some slide rails to stow the rigid panel between the RTT and trailer lid. Not really quite right for getting sun exposure so I always end up removing it via the two tabs.

trailer0101.jpg

trailer005.jpg

I like that this would keep a low profile under my roof rack. I could use angle brackets to attach the drawer slides to the roof and just detach the drawer slides when needed. It seems like a lot of extra hardware and weight just to have a removable mount.

The most common mount I've seen uses Z- brackets like these 41MkoMD8FLL._SX355_.jpg I could use standard mounts with a wing nut if needed. I don't know. I don't love any of the ideas.

Also, this is for the roof of a pop-up camper, so I'd like to keep weight down.

Good ideas. Keep them coming!

TheThom

Adventurer
A-ha!

What if make a generic, easy to use mount out of angle brackets and instead of securing it with bolts, I secure it with these quick release pins from McMaster Carr

quick relase pin.png

Anybody use these quick release pins? Do they seem sturdy enough? I cold use rubber washers if needed to snug it up for travel

EDIT: Looking back, this was totally Robert's idea and I acted like it was some sort of epiphany - oops

Last edited:
I am looking for a similar solution. I just purchased a solar boost 2000 and 130 w Kyocera panel. I really don't want to mount the system permanently to my tent trailer as I would like to use it for my off road trailer or even the just with the jeep when boon docking. I was thinking of putting a Thule rack on the tent trailer, mount the panel to the cross bars and put the SB2000 in a pelican case. Put weather pack connectors on all the wires. This would allow me the flexibility of moving the system between trailers and my vehicles. Only trick are quick connect mounts for the panel or even the possibility of a tilting quick disconnect mount. Curious to see what others come up with as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12