Removing ac permanantly

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
I think I'm just going to remove the ac compressor permanently. Is it possible to do this without tripping all kinds of codes?

troy

Adventurer
It shouldn't throw any codes. Your biggest problem would be the belt routing. Is this for the KJ in your avatar, or another vehicle?

Removing A/C will really hurt resale, but it can be done.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
hey, icefisher. I recognize the quick-thinking, gotta get this done urgency with which you posted your threads and comments/questions...

This is going to sound condescending, but you might want to step away and take a deep breath there....

I get this way myself sometimes. Sounds like issues with your A/C make you want to just toss it and be done with it, and you don't want the hassle of building an OBA system with all its intricacy right now...

is this problem disabling your vehicle? Can you rent or borrow a car for a few days? Honestly, brother I think you should either have a shop fix your A/C problem or rent a car and OBA it yourself, once you've fixed the bearing.

It pays to think about such a major system repair/conversion/delete.

Just my unsolicited advice. Meant in the mellowist, kindest way.

-Brian

EDIT: I see from your other thread that you smoked the bearing in your compressor. So this would be a car-disabling deal then. With the A/C being a high pressure system, its kinda bad to open it up without getting discharged. You definitely wouldn't want to do that at home. I think it's actually illegal, too. I'd say you might have to skrimp, save, borrow and get that sucker swapped out by a shop...or at the least have them discharge it and find yourself a NAPA special that you can put in.

Last edited:

Cody1771

Explorer
it may throw a code... my old ford threw a code when i had a leak in the accumulator. the code just stopped the AC compressor from kicking in, in case of such a leak. but i would definatly suggest getting it fixed instead.

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Thank you bigdaddy for that slap back to the real world. Unfortunately my jeep is not driveable and I'm going to need it by Thurs to go back to work. Good thing I only do two 24 hr shifts a week . I am going to try and remove the pulley and put a shorter belt on it. there was a write up on it on Lost Kjs where he by passed the compressor, http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=43504&highlight=belt, I would not take the compressor out at home because of the freon.

granitex1

Adventurer
One other thing to remember is that most, if not all new cars and trucks use the AC in conjunction with the defrost.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
here's a E-slap on the back, buddy. Hope everything goes as smooth as possible. Can you find a new compressor? or the correct length belt locally?

I'd think liberty parts are pretty prolific...

Regards, and prayers for calm, quality parts and easily removed engine hardware.

-Brian

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Thank you, I did get a shorter belt that should work. Having issues taking the pulley off. Hopefully will have time today to do that. :smiley_drive:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Thank you, I did get a shorter belt that should work. Having issues taking the pulley off. Hopefully will have time today to do that. :smiley_drive:

cool, keep us posted brother. Don't forget to have a tasty beverage handy to keep you sane...haha...be it root beer or real beer...:elkgrin:

Excuse my ignorance, I don't know the routing, but if you bypass the compressor with a shorter belt, why even bother with removing the pulley?

RLitwin

Was A/C standard? If not, how did it come from the factory without a/c? Is there just a pulley instead of the compressor with the same size belt?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger