Researching Expedition Rigs

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Agreed! Don't do it! Steals the joy of driving imo and robs you of money you could be using to mod/upgrade.

Agreed, We are car payment free for the first time since my wife and I have been together. Its a great feeling. Everything worked out and we came into some extra money with all our houses selling, so We paid off ALL debt. The only thing we have now is our house mortgage, and for what we have, its a friggin bargain. My work is on the property.

For your rig, go look at as many rigs as you can around your areas, And find something that works for you and is in great condition. Don't be brand loyal and it will make everything clear after you drive something.

Your new rig will speak to you! ha ha.

rayra

Expedition Leader
OP, how many people, pets, how much and what type of cargo do you need to haul, overnighters, week long treks? Towing? Makes a HUGE difference in which vehicles people might suggest.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
The Mitsubishi Pajero (Montero) is a great rig for what you are looking for...
Bullet proof transmission, 9.5'' rear diff., comfort for the entire family, they are at home on the highway or the trail.

We've been using our Montero for an all purpose vehicle for 170+k miles now, and it's still going strong. We do everything from overloading around the western USA to driving the kids to track meets with this rig. The MPG aren't that great avg. 15-16 (mostly for us it's due to all the steel and gear I've added).
I prefer the earlier Gen III due to it having the LSD rear diff. The Super-select transmission is fantastic with the five speed (Limited model). These earlier Gen. III's only came with a 3.5L engine, which is fairly gutless. It's not a big deal unless you have a heavy right foot and are always in a hurry.
These are normally fairly inexpensive when purchased used, although it might be hard to find one with low miles.
I would highly recommend the Mitsubishi Montero
Good Luck

hove102

Adventurer
Honestly, I went through this same struggle 6 months ago and it's really going to come down to how much you want to spend, what you want, and what you can actually find in your area. Most of these trucks will serve your needs admirably, and any of them at the right price and with the right mileage would be a good rig. Pajeros/Monteros are good trucks, obviously my chosen rig, but they weren't my first choice. I wanted a Jeep XJ or ZJ or a 2nd Gen 4Runner, but they were all piles of crap at my price point so I shifted my focus. Everything older is going to have a downside of some sort, whether it comes to reliability or aftermarket support, so the trick is finding what you're willing to live with and where you're willing to compromise. Eventually you'll find a truck that appeals to you and is right for you. I'm sure you know this, but I cannot overstate the importance of driving impressions. I thought I wanted a Jeep until I drove one, and then one I realized that there was no getting around the crudeness of the solid front axle design and the shoddy mid-90s American build quality...point being is you won't know until you drive one.

For my money, if I could do it again (not that I don't love my Monty), I'd look for a late 80s-early 90s Bronco (and not listen to my family), or I would have saved up a bit and bought a 1st Gen Xterra. The Fords are dirt simple, have plenty of space, and aftermarket mods are super plentiful. The Xterras has solid aftermarket support, 4 doors and 4 seats, and Nissan made a decent amount of them so they should be easy to find. Plus they look cool and I've always wanted one.

One last bit of advice: don't get emotionally invested or frustrated, because that's what leads to impulse buys and things you have doubts about down the road.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Tacoma? - = -

66362e6a7067.jpg

Is that the skyway behind you?

wingerak92

Thanks for everything! This summer will definitely be spent test driving and researching. I don't tow, I sleep on a tent, generally just me and maybe one other person, have one mountain bike and plan on getting back into kayaking. that's about it!
thanos again!

taco_tay

Adventurer
IMO a Tacoma is a great way too go. I've owned 3 of them so far and loved every single one of them. As far as your budget goes you can definitely find one in there between the 95'-04'. They will probably have quite a few miles but don't get turned off by that. They run forever. Just bought one with 250K and runs like a top. Plenty of people on here have Tacomas with over 300-400k no problem. Good luck!

Get an R50 Pathfinder. You can get them for 3K, bullet proof V6 motor. Excellent daily and will get you everyone you want to go with all creature comforts you could want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78