Review: Camp Chef Stove/Oven/Grille Combo

About 4 years ago I purchased a Camp Chef Stove/Oven/Grille combo from Cabela's online. I was living in Logan, Utah where Camp Chef products are built but I had to pick it up over 100 miles away, go figure. Over the past few years I have put this product through the paces and have used it in many different settings. I have used it in a variety of altitudes, temps, settings and uses. My use of this product over the past 4 years has not been trouble free and I will detail those issue and how they were resolved.

As you can see in the photo below, this model is different than the more common Camp Chef Oven/Stove Combo but most of the info I provide here should be relevant to both models.

First an foremost I love traditional cooking around the campfire in dutch ovens, cooking tin foil dinners, roasting marshmallows etc., but with all the fire restrictions here in the west I have been forced to adapt.Also a campfire is not always practical in all settings.

When you first see this unit, it is noticeably larger than other units on the market and a traditional camp stove. That being said, it has much, much more to offer because it can grille and bake.

One Burner Stove: I have never had an issue with the burner. It has auto ignition as does the grille and oven. It will bring water to a rolling boil in a matter of minutes. The flame is easy to control with the dial and it is easy to clean. The burner has exceeded all expectations.

Grille: The grille has also been trouble free for the most part. I did bend the grille when I boiling 5 gallons of water when I was cooking a lot of corn for a party. I had to pay $18 to replace the grille. I still use the grille as an additional burner at times, but I do not cook such heavy items on the grille. The grille itself cooks fantastic. Like all grilles it has it's hot spots but I use them to my advantage. The front of the grille definitely cooks hotter than the rear of the grille. The grille grate is easily removed for easy cleanup, but I recommend putting down foil for extra easy clean up.

Oven:The oven has been trouble free as far as cooking food is concerned, but like many others have reported, the thermometer is not accurate. I have drilled a hole in the back of my unit so I could re-calibrate the temp gauge, but it seems to lose calibration every time I go offroad. At this time I just have faith if I turn it on high it will cook what ever I through at it. The kids really like Marie Calendar pot pies and fruit pies. I love cooking mac n cheese, pizza, and breakfast sandwiches. I have noticed that at high elevations like 10K feet above sea level, the oven does lose efficiency and I have to cook products about 30% longer. This is consistent with any oven, not just the Camp Chef. Surprisingly the oven cooks very evenly and it is my favorite part of this unit, despite the issue I have had with the temp gauge.

Other:Camp Chef lists this unit around 30lbs. It is not noticeably heavy or awkward. To set it up for cooking takes less than one minute. While it is larger than other Stoves, I find it does not occupy more space. How is this you may be asking. Well the oven makes for a fantastic place to store your cooking supplies. In the oven I store a pot, pan, cookie sheet, thongs, hot pad, knife, cutting board, silverware, cups, plates, bowls, salt, pepper and a towel. The stove can be set up the use the #1 propane canisters or you can use an adapter to connect it to a fullsize tank. The #1 canisters will usually last 7-10hrs of cooking time depending on what you are cooking.

So, would I recommend this to a friend, absolutely. Is it perfect, no. But this unit can perform tasks that other stoves cannot. It can grille and bake and that is a huge advantage over the traditional stove. If you pack your cooking supplies in the oven it saves space. It is very versatile and can be used for tailgaiting, camping, canning or emergency preparedness.

10749118564_1377325444_b.jpg

Specs according to the Camp Chef Website:
Description
Food is one of the great things about camping and when you’re camping with the Outdoor Camp Oven you can prepare delicious homemade meals without leaving the campsite. This oven unlocks all the cooking capabilities of a home oven and range. Designed to be both portable and versatile, the Outdoor Camp Oven will provide you with the heat necessary to cook anything from a breakfast skillet to your favorite baked breads and cookies. The oven can reach temperatures up to 400° F and will easily fit a 9 x 13 pan so you can carry out all of your baking needs. Fueled by a 1 pound propane bottle, this oven will hold a temperature of up 350° F for up to 7 hours making it great for emergency preparedness.

Features
One 7,500 BTU brass range burners
Oven power: 3,000 BTU (Up to 400° F)
A 12" x 9.5" grille
Fully adjustable heat-control dials
Matchless ignition
Built-in oven heat gauge
Removable oven racks
Nonstick enamel cooking surface
Stainless Steel construction
Insulated, efficient oven box