Review of new ARB Rooftop Tent

Romer

Adventurer
Nice review. Missing links oto the next page after you get to page 2

Thanks for sharing

kb7our

Explorer
Here is a review I just completed of the ARB Simpson III Tent: http://www.myfjcruiser.org/2272/arb-roof-tent-review-introduction/

Very nicely done review. I had the SII and now the SIII and am pleased with all the improvements that are now making this tent truly competative with other brands. I think there are a few more tweaks that need to come along to perfect the tent, some you noted, perhaps with the SIV model.

"Overall I found the mattress to be firm and comfortable. However, I will be adding a sheet to cover the nylon. With the mattress being 8 feet long it is going to be hard to find a fitted sheet that will fit it. I am going to take a king-sized sheet and modify it to fit the mattress."

To overcome this issue, I had the cover and mattress cut to fit a full or queen length with a short section remaining. Now normal bed sheets and a down comforter fit perfect with the remaining short section simply left in place with its own velcro to hold it down to the floor. I had a zipper attached to the short piece as well. When the tent is closed the two-piece mattress stays in place. Works really well. I think ARB should consider this "upgrade" in the future as I really cannot think of any negatives and it makes it VERY convenient length wise for standard bedding (i.e. fitted sheets) or sleeping bags.

Looking forward to your review of the annex and how you will attach it easily considering you said that you are using screws to hold the cover on. The cover must be removed so the wall of the annex can slide in unless you leave off the wall on that end.

Wade

Last edited:

datoy

Adventurer
Very nicely done review. I had the SII and now the SIII and am pleased with all the improvements that are now making this tent truly competitive with other brands. I think there are a few more tweaks that need to come along to perfect the tent, some you noted, perhaps with the SIV model.

"Overall I found the mattress to be firm and comfortable. However, I will be adding a sheet to cover the nylon. With the mattress being 8 feet long it is going to be hard to find a fitted sheet that will fit it. I am going to take a king-sized sheet and modify it to fit the mattress."

To overcome this issue, I had the cover and mattress cut to fit a full or queen length with a short section remaining. Now normal bed sheets and a down comforter fit perfect with the remaining short section simply left in place with its own Velcro to hold it down to the floor. I had a zipper attached to the short piece as well. When the tent is closed the two-piece mattress stays in place. Works really well. I think ARB should consider this "upgrade" in the future as I really cannot think of any negatives and it makes it VERY convenient length wise for standard bedding (i.e. fitted sheets) or sleeping bags.

Looking forward to your review of the annex and how you will attach it easily considering you said that you are using screws to hold the cover on. The cover must be removed so the wall of the annex can slide in unless you leave off the wall on that end.

Wade

Interesting way to deal with the sheet issue.

Romer

Adventurer
Nice review. Can you fit a cot or sleeping bag in the annex for one more person to sleep within the tent area?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12