Ride Report-Moab

Jeeper0505

Observer
After years of Jeeping and Mountain Biking Moab we thought it'd be great fun to take our dirt bikes there and explore some new areas.
Ken took his CRF450X and I was on my DRZ400. We started out with an easy ride out to Chicken Corners. A fun blast down Kane Creek Road with great scenery (a recurring theme on this trip!). A side trip pointed out by some fellow dual-sporters took us up the canyon towards Lockhardt Basin. A quick run back into town for a late lunch with big smiles on our faces after only one morning of riding!

After lunch we headed out to Gemini Bridges and Bull Canyon. Nothing too technical, just fun Jeep roads.

The next morning we loaded the bikes and went out to Dewey Bridge, about 25 miles up the Colorado River. From there we made a giant 50-ish mile loop including Top-of-the-World, Rosegarden Hill, Onion Creek and Fisher Tower. Top-of-the-World was a bit challenging for our "B" rider status but we did fine. Rosegarden was extremely washed out. The friends we made on Kane Creek Road suggested we go down Rosegarden and I'm glad they did. Ken made short work of it but I really struggled with it. After that Onion Creek was a hoot with about 27 creek crossings that were all running!

The final morning we decided to tackle some slickrock. We were up before dawn and at the start of the Fins and Things trail. We had the entire place to ourselves and completed the trail quickly even doing a couple of obstacles twice. We still had plenty of time before our scheduled departure so we decided to tackle the Slickrock Bike Trail. We had done this trail on Mountain Bikes but I was a little nervous about riding it on motos. Once we got the hang of the slickrock it just totally flowed and became the highlight of the trip. What a blast. On our way back to the trailhead we had our only issue of the entire trip. Ken fell over on a small obstacle and punched the break lever through the side case of his CRF. He quickly turned the bike over to save the oil and got out his JB-Weld and cleaner. After a quick repair and adequate set time, we were back on the trail and even did the practice loop for fun on the way out.

Overall a great trip. We are already planning to go back next year and reach out further into the great Utah backcountry.

Michael

475 - Copy.jpg
Bull Canyon

459 - Copy.jpg
Road back from Lockhardt Basin

20131013_081150_20412.jpg

Attachments

• 20131013_081150_20412.jpg
    20131013_081150_20412.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Jeeper0505

Observer
Here are a few more. Thanks for asking.
Michael

444.jpg
Kane Creek road

446.jpg
Colorado River near Hurrah Pass

457.jpg
Heading back to town from Chicken Corners

466.jpg
Taking a break at Hurrah Pass

469.jpg
Near Gemini Bridges

474.jpg
At Gemini Bridges

476.jpg
Gooney Bird Rock on the way back from Gemini Bridges

485.jpg
On the way back to Moab from Gemini Bridges. Hwy 191 in the canyon below.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12