Ridgerunners in Kauai; Feb 2nd -12th.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
DaveM said:
Haggis you sound like you may be a geologist or geology buff? Never heard anyone refer to the cliffs at Mahaulepu or Shipwrecks as "lithified" except my geo teacher.

Geology buff for sure. I like to know how things are made whether man made or produced by nature. The Kuaia folks are some of the nicest people we've met, and remind me of the people I grew up around. Hard working, self relaint folks that when they get the chance have a good time.

Here's a few more random shots: !st Ahi shashimi and pokee, Yum! 2nd is the fruit we were eating on; apple bananas, star fruit, ludongs, rambutans (the red horsechestnut looking things), mango, papaya, purple sweet potatoes ( techinally not a fruit but...) and advacados. I'll miss the fresh fruit most of all, especially the papayas for breakfast. We just don't get that kind of selection back here. 3rd is ahot of the kyaks beach up on the Wailua river at the start of the hiking trail to the "Secret Falls" that was visited by at least 50 people.

DaveM

Explorer
Haggis said:
3rd is ahot of the kyaks beach up on the Wailua river at the start of the hiking trail to the "Secret Falls" that was visited by at least 50 people.

everything in Hawaii that you have to hike to and has a name most haloe's can't pronounce is a "secret" something or other ;) That one is Kaholalele Falls, but even most locals just call it secret falls.

Did you do any hiking when you were up on Koke'e? Alakai swamp, Waipo'o falls? That's my favorite part of the island, like another world and the most intact as far as indigenous habitat. I was just home visiting my brother and his girlfriend who moved back last year to teach at our old high school. My first time home in more than 4 years I think.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
With all the rain the isalnd was getting in the beginning of the week, we didn't do as much hiking as we would have liked. The trails were just to slippery to take the kids on, and my wife hates hiking in a heavy downpour. The normal light Kauai rains followed by sun are no problem but it was raining hard all day long up on the north coast and in the interior. We did do the Pihea trail and the Po'omau trail to the lookout later in the week. We did the Alaka swamp trail all the way to the Kilohana lookout the last time we were here when it was just Michelle and me. Alaka'i swamp looks like something from another planet especially when there's a mist crawling along it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior