'Road Shower' Solar pressurized roof monted shower

refried

Adventurer
I say use a non pressurized tank, then a pump that pressurizes the water outside the tank in the lines coming to shower you with water, that way the tank could never rupture from overpressure and you could run the line anywhere to shower.

I've got a pump mounted near the back doors of my van and a 5 gallon water container. if I want to use the shower I move the water close to the pump, stick the hose in and turn it on. If I want a warm shower I'll heat the water on a stove first or just let the water jug sit in the sun for a few hours. I've thought about conecting it to the water system on the van but it only has a 3 gallon water tank and it's nice to have an extra 5 gallons of water in a portable container. If I need some privacy I'll wrap a tarp around the two open back doors and have an instant private outdoor shower.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
I love the passive solar idea, I'm not sure it would work so well in the shoulder seasons though.
I'm also not a fan of putting that much weight that high on my truck.

WVF150

Observer
The solar Idea is crap. The only way this thing would heat water is if you were in the freaking desert and the sun was on it all day.

I made one from SCH 40, painted it black and it insulated the water and did not let the temp rise at all from the sun.

I say if your gonna make one of these do the whole thing from clear SCH 40 pipe bought off the internet so the sun can actually reach the water, cause just painting it black does not work.

TRIED AND TESTED = FAIL

CSG

Explorer
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Elements-Gallon-Summer-Shower/dp/B000J2Q0SU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1281052207&sr=1-1"]http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Elements-Gallon-Summer-Shower/dp/B000J2Q0SU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1281052207&sr=1-1[/ame]

I like these for $20. Then again, I don't go out in freezing weather.

Powagoneer

Not if you only used distilled water.. HA HA..

Old thread back from the dead. As long as your not drinking out of it, one could toss a couple capfuls of bleach in there now and then too. I have been researching something more permanent that the solar bag type showers. Clear PVC could be the answer!

cruisertoy

Explorer
We built one of these out of black ABS pipe years ago. The ABS didn't transfer heat very well so the water was never really warm enough to be worth it. A metal tube would be better. You could do clear PVC and paint the bottom half black? You could also mount a copper or stainless rod down the center to act as a heat sink. just a few thoughts.

madmax718

Explorer
I've gotten a plenty hot shower just by keeping a MSR dromlite bag in the front windshield for a few hours in the summer. However, im not keen on keeping 50 lbs of water so high up, it really upsets the handling of the vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12