Roof top tent

jams002

you are looking an roof top tent,maybe i suggested it to you search for the internet you can find there a roof top tent for your vehicle,:arabia:

CRD4Liberty

Seth said in the magazine article done on his rig that the stock rails were tried, but one climb into the tent quickly told him they weren't up to it, there is no other place on the kj to mount a tent or rack to that I can see. The roof rack made by Rock Lizard would be the quickest solution as they aren't a one off and can be had in a few different configurations.

L8 APEKS

Observer
jerdog53 said:
Thats nice!!!!

It looks cool, but there's one major drawback it seems!

When you have a vehicle with relatively little room inside the cabin (Liberty, XJ, etc), you need the roof rack for supplies when you go on outings. I found the roof rack a necessity to mount my 33" spare for my XJ. I also put a fuel can, hi-lift, usually the tent, and other camping equipment up there so we have room inside the vehicle for food, the dog, etc.

Don't you lose all of your rack storage ability by putting the tent on top? That's something I couldn't live with. I can always set up a tent on the ground...but there's physically not enough room inside an XJ to put everything for a weekend outing!

durango_60

Explorer
L8 APEKS said:
It looks cool, but there's one major drawback it seems!

When you have a vehicle with relatively little room inside the cabin (Liberty, XJ, etc), you need the roof rack for supplies when you go on outings. I found the roof rack a necessity to mount my 33" spare for my XJ. I also put a fuel can, hi-lift, usually the tent, and other camping equipment up there so we have room inside the vehicle for food, the dog, etc.

Don't you lose all of your rack storage ability by putting the tent on top? That's something I couldn't live with. I can always set up a tent on the ground...but there's physically not enough room inside an XJ to put everything for a weekend outing!

Hence the explosion of trailers on this site.

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
L8 APEKS said:
True.

But putting my tent on the ground saves me from spending $1400 on a tent and $3000 on a trailer. :wings:
That is a good point that there is very little cargo area. I think I will stick with the tent on the ground and maybe try and build a trailer:arabia:

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
L8 APEKS said:
True.

But putting my tent on the ground saves me from spending $1400 on a tent and $3000 on a trailer. :wings:

Agreed, although rocks, mud, undergrowth, water, etc. can all make a ground tent rather awkward to pitch, especially in the dark and rain. I found the more that happened, the more I looked for alternative sleeping solutions.

Cheers,
Graham

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger