Roof Top Tents for the Disco

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
I will say my perspective may be skewed from driving short-wheelbase vehicles, where interior space is at a premium. That said, I still prefer the gas cans to be mounted on the exterior of the vehicle, as low as practical. I would rather fit an oversize fuel tank to the vehicle to keep the weight as low as possible, and then carry one or two fuel cans. That would make an operating range of 250+ miles, depending on fuel efficiency and capacity. For the vast majority of US/Canada expeditions, that should be sufficient. Moving into Mexico/Central-South America, where gas quality may be an issue, I can see adding extra cans to ensure that the vehicle will have quality fuel, but dragging around extra fuel in a quality fuel-rich environment adds weight and reduces performance.

A good tent trailer probably would solve most of the quandries of the original poster:
  • Quick conversion to a practical daily driver (don't need to remove tent)
  • Increased storage for fuel and other cargo
  • Can be easily transferred from one vehicle to another over the years

That's just me, though.

Reata Rover

Adventurer
I totally agree on the trailer as a solution, but once again it is all about the $$$. Right now I am not ready for that yet. Maybe in a few years, but not right now.

Thanks again for all the great feedback. I really appreciate it.

Reata Rover

Adventurer
tdesanto said:
Thanks, gentlemen.

Now, John, get the medium...it's the same length and only 13% more $.

Regarding the fuel cans...can someone else help me convince him that inside the cabin, between the axles is the best place for heavy items like this, and is safe and probably better than having the extra weight up high?

Maybe I won't have to...the first time or two he has to lift them up there might just convince him all on its own ;)

TD, 13% is 13%. I ain't gonna do it. The small will suit me fine.

As far as the fuel cans are concerned, why would I ever need to take them down from the roof or put them up there when they were full? My favorite vendor in the world (Expedition Exchange) hooked me up with the Super Siphon. That thing works great from the roof. Thanks EE!!

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Reata Rover said:
TD, 13% is 13%. I ain't gonna do it. The small will suit me fine.

As far as the fuel cans are concerned, why would I ever need to take them down from the roof or put them up there when they were full? My favorite vendor in the world (Expedition Exchange) hooked me up with the Super Siphon. That thing works great from the roof. Thanks EE!!

I know many people fuel their cans up on the rack but they should be filled up on the ground with the can well grounded. It just takes a tiny spark to ruin your day. BTW I dig the siphon hose too but I still seem to have about 1 gal. left in the can when using it. Probably operator:ylsmoke:

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Reata Rover said:
I totally agree on the trailer as a solution, but once again it is all about the $$$. Right now I am not ready for that yet. Maybe in a few years, but not right now.

Thanks again for all the great feedback. I really appreciate it.
Dedicated tent trailers aren't the only solution. You'll see all sorts of military trailer builds on this site. A plywood platform on a basic military trailer makes for an excellent RTT base, with all of the area underneath and on the tongue for storage. Then you have a utility trailer for a truck substitute for hauling stuff around town. I'd encourage you to at least look into the possibility.

SMD

Adventurer
tdesanto said:
Isn't this Tom Sheppard's consistent recommendation?

From Off-roader driving, edition 1.2 copyrighted in '99, come the following excerpts:
- pg 7.19, paragraph related to roof racks: "If you do have a major storage problem, use them only for featherweight items like sleeping bags, tents and the like; not for heavy items like fuel cans." (author's italics)
- pg 8.4, the paragraph with the lead Oh, alright then.: "Whatever you do, and however many times you may have seen pictures of the misguided doing so, do not be tempted to put rows of fuel cans on the roof. It will overstress the vehicle and is a handling-related accident waiting to happen."

With that said, I'll admit to being one of the misguided who puts a few cans on the roof, though when possible I now try to lie (lay? I never did nail down that grammatical rule!) them flat to lower the cg a few more inches and reduce drag. However I've been experimenting with new loading configurations trying to find a way to put less weight and mass on the roof, or at least lighter stuff.

BTW, a great book!

kellymoe said:
...I still seem to have 1 gal. left in the can when using it
Kevin,
I used to have the same problem, but I've found it to work well if once I hear the bead begin rattling in the inlet (assuming using the Super Siphon) to then lower the hose further until it sounds like the bead is rattling against the bottom of the can with an obvious change in metallic tone. Usually leaves only a few ounces of fuel remaining.

Stephen

Last edited:

LC/LR4Life

Adventurer
Funny, the Inti Roof Rack is designed to carry 7 military gas cans up top in a segregated portion of the rack. I was thinking of two on the roof, and one on the rear bumper. Eventually, get a second gas tank. I agree with putting the light stuff up top for the most part, but I figure if you're loaded down below, a couple of cans up top aint gonna topple you too easy.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I think that a swing away two can carrier would be the best solution - no extra weight on the roof, and no fuel cans inside the vehicle.

I have a 45 gallon aux tank on my LC80 series, and consider this the 'ultimate' solution - but it is a bit pricey. On the other hand, I get 70 gallons of fuel on board and down low. No way I would carry this much gas in cans.

Truthfully, there are not many situations that demand this kind of capacity, but it is better to have it and not need it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger