Rooftop Tent Info Compile (CVT Tepui Eezi-Awn ARB Treeline TuffStuff SmittyBilt)

SnoViking

Adventurer
Hey All, So I'm in the process of shopping for a rooftop tent and compiled a sheet compiling all the specs and details.

(Let me immediately insert the disclaimer that I fully understand that just because company "A" says it uses a 280g Poly-Cotton UV coated fabric and company "B" also says it uses 280g Poly-Cotton UV coated fabric does not imply that the two fabrics are identical and of the same quality. Company "A" and company "B" MAY also have their tents made in the same Chinese factory with the same workers. That does not imply the tents are exactly the same quality. The fabric MAY be from the exact same bolt. And the engineer specs MAY be the exact same.... They MAY indeed be the exact same tent with a different logo printed on it.... You're guess is as good as mine.)

So anyway..... Here's an excel sheet I compiled to help me sort through all the specs and details. I did my best to get all the info I can (I'm sure there's a few mistakes in there.) It's a working list so if anyone has any addition info and/or details and/or experiences please relay them to me and I will update the sheet.

View attachment RTT Comparison.xlsx

Last edited:

guywithajeep

wow this is awesome! was just about to start working on exactly the same thing. I am starting to save up the money now to buy one for the summer. This saves me a ton of time. If I come up with more info than what you have ill pass it along to you to update the sheet. thanks for doing it! :wings:

ennored

Nice list. You must be an engineer. If not, you're qualified. (An engineer being nothing but a spreadsheet and a cup of coffee.)

I went with the Smittybilt. For $637 (I think that was the exact number) I couldn't pass it up. Lets me try out a roof top tent without breaking the bank. I have a motorhome so it's hard to justify even $600 for something I'm just not going to use that much.

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
Nicely compiled list. To be honest, you can over analyze the specs to death on these things, they are all essentially the same. It's quite appalling to me how so many brands can offer so many variations of essentially the same product, and hardly anyone is doing any revisions to a basic product design that traces its origins to the 50s... And to be perfectly honest, you are missing the benchmarks of the industry (Autohome, JB), they may be expensive...but after a week of breaking camp in howling sandy wind just above freezing, trying to get the fabric stuffed and travel cover back on a soft sided RTT...you might be re-considering the 'ease of setup/teardown' touted by soft sides. 15 second up/down, and ability to leave the bedding out vs having to pack it up and store in the vehicle every time you move. Sure, the price point is higher...you get what you pay for (not to say Tepui, ARB, CVT etc use inferior materials). Sometimes the selling points go deeper than the numbers suggest. What you really need to determine is if 2x the cost justifies 4x the convenience.

My word of advice: Find the brand with the closest local dealer and best CS. Then find the one with the footprint and weight that makes the most sense to you. That should narrow down the choices considerably. Also, don't under-estimate the importance of ladder quality ;) The ladder is both a key user interface, and a great place for manufacturers to skimp on costs... Best of luck in your search, you'll have fun whatever you choose! Most importantly, get out and enjoy it!

plh

Explorer
A column with manufacturer location would be nice. .

That would be easy: China

FWIW: www.tuffstuff4x4.com has their roof top tents back in stock. $1199 delivered in the lower 48 with a floored annex. Which is a huge plus. May not use it every trip, but invaluable during cool or wet weather. I would not be without an annex on hand for use.

I am a past owner and can recommend them highly. I did lots of comparison prior to purchase and this was by far the best deal. I owned /used the tent for 3 years and sold it locally last fall for $950. Good cost of ownership. I'm considering buying another.

Last edited:

SnoViking

Adventurer
Nice list. You must be an engineer. If not, you're qualified. (An engineer being nothing but a spreadsheet and a cup of coffee.)

Close....... I work with a bunch of them. I'm a metrologist.... So I keep the engineers in check. Make sure they dot their Ts and cross their Is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12