Rotoflex replacement options for a D2?

yubert

Explorer
The rotoflex on my D2 is starting break apart [see photos]. Various online LR stores have replacements ranging in price from $59 to $90 for aftermarket or $138 for OEM.

Just wondering if OEM is worth the extra $$. Also, I read about u-joint replacement kits for the rotoflex but they seem to be for a D1 or RRC. Does anyone know if there's one for the D2 and where I can get it?

Thanks!

--Yubert

Attachments

• DSCF9343.JPG
    DSCF9343.JPG
    313.9 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCF9345.JPG
    DSCF9345.JPG
    313.5 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCF9359.JPG
    DSCF9359.JPG
    350.9 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCF9360.JPG
    DSCF9360.JPG
    304.4 KB · Views: 49

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
The only aftermarket rotoflexes I've specifically heard bad things about are the britpart ones, but that's britpart in general. Haven't heard anything good or bad about other aftermarket rotoflexes.
No personal experience with the DII, but I can't see any reason you couldn't do the DI/RRC conversion. Worst case you'd need to change the length of the propshaft.
Alternatively, there are TW or GBR rear propshafts.

RonL

Adventurer
Rovers North has OEM part for less then a $100.
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-6705-flex-coupling-rear-prop-shaft-discovery.aspx

I would look at using a Disco1 rear shaft with u-joints and getting away from the RotoFlex. If you are not lifted, Rotoflexs work fine but once you start modifting you need to get away from the Rototflex.

You can get a Tom Woods drive shaft, but you need the Rover diff parts to change it from a three bolt drive to a four bolt flange.

I am not sure when LandRover started/stopped using RotoFlexs on Disco1, I have two Disco1, 1997 & 1999, both have u-joints.

michaels

Explorer
my rotoflex has been fine with teh 3" lift in the rear. your rotoflex looks like it should've been replaced a LONG time ago. they fail over time.

i replaced one on a buddies stock truck with less miles than my lifted one and it didn't look near that bad. we replaced it anyways.

FortyMileDesert

Adventurer
Only way to fly - Stick with the oem rotoflex.

Mine is still fine after 80,000 miles and 107 off-road treks.

I carry a brand new one in my tool box with new hardware. Someday it might actually need replacing....

100_2677.jpg

They drive smoother and quieter than a u-joint. They take about ten minutes to change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman