rover racks.com

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
So dose anyone have any experience with roverracks.com? There Rack looks close to the old Safety Devices rack. Just wondering about quality and stuff like that!

If you do a search there is plenty of feedback

unless you're married to the safety devices design because of its classic aesthetics or simply because it meets your needs rack wise you might consider brownchurch racks. Check their website for much more durable and practical racks full length and extended length. The US brownchurch racks leave something to be desired but you can order the UK spec racks through Rovers North - who also make really nice racks themselves! Both are galvanized. Takes up to 3 months to get it depending on when you catch the boat but the prices are excellent

good luck

yubert

Explorer
Check BajaRack.

Ditto on doing a search on "Rover Racks" and also NWP to get an idea of their history. However, some have said they've recently changed their ways and are better.

As for getting a used SD rack, I've seen a few that developed cracks. The forum below shows 2 SD racks that cracked.

http://www2.expeditionexchange.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1125&page=3

BajaRack makes roof racks for the D2 as well as D1, RRC and LR3. I got one of their low-profile D2 racks last weeks along with their jerry can holder. I've attached some pictures below. The rack follows the line of D2 roof similar to SD.

Attachments

• DSCN2501.JPG
    DSCN2501.JPG
    477.9 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCN2473.JPG
    DSCN2473.JPG
    475.1 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCN2482.JPG
    DSCN2482.JPG
    418.3 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN2441.JPG
    DSCN2441.JPG
    509.2 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCN2487.JPG
    DSCN2487.JPG
    461.5 KB · Views: 68

jrose609

Explorer
Ditto what everyone else has said. If you want the classic "look" rack fo your disco, wait for the Safety Devices rack. If you want something new then consider a Brownchurch or a Bajarack. They are very stout and impressive looking. The Roverracks racks are not very high quality. Go to some of the land rover specific forums and do a search. There is a lot of info about them. The bends around the front don't even follow the roof/windshield lines.

michaels

Explorer
cracks can be fixed easily. i wouldn't worry about that. just get one without rust. mine was rusted pretty badly and i put 30 hours into it completely stripping it down by hand to the bare metal, and repainted it.

michaels

Explorer
i also don't think the baja racks do the truck justice. the roof is curved on the sides and the middle side support bars are all straight. the front lower bar does not come far enough forward. the obviously only made one rack for the DI and DII. either that, or they just got it all wrong in how long it should be.

yubert

Explorer
i also don't think the baja racks do the truck justice. the roof is curved on the sides and the middle side support bars are all straight. the front lower bar does not come far enough forward. the obviously only made one rack for the DI and DII. either that, or they just got it all wrong in how long it should be.

On the contrary, the BajaRack D1 and D2 racks are not one and the same. The D2 is wider and longer. I have pictures of their D1 rack that was used as a prototype for making the D2 rack. If I have time, I'll post some photos, you can tell they are two different racks. As for the front bar, the original design did come forward but the Mantec snorkel got in the way, so it was shortened. I believe the regular D2 high-profile racks will come forward by 3 or 4 inches.

pangaea

Adventurer
The rack on our Bio Bonatti truck was made by Voyager/Rover Racks. When they started out in the Pacific NW, I wasn't a big fan of their stuff, however they seem to have worked out their growing pains somewhat.

They were able to get a custom rack built for our truck on a relatively short timeline, and the rack looks pretty darn good (although to be fair, the rooflines on the Defender are a bit easier to match than on a Disco). My only complaints are as follows:

1. The rack came with a rough powdercoating finish. I prefer the smooth finish. Not sure if they'll do a smooth finish on request.

2. Our rack was damaged in transit, and had to be repaired. Voyager did a good job packaging the rack for transit, some moron at the shipping company was just overly enthusiastic with a forklift.

lwg

On the contrary, the BajaRack D1 and D2 racks are not one and the same. The D2 is wider and longer. I have pictures of their D1 rack that was used as a prototype for making the D2 rack. If I have time, I'll post some photos, you can tell they are two different racks. As for the front bar, the original design did come forward but the Mantec snorkel got in the way, so it was shortened. I believe the regular D2 high-profile racks will come forward by 3 or 4 inches.

This is true. The D1 racks are 85" x 59" and the DII racks are 90" x 60". This is for the standard rack, not the Rooftop tent models, however they are sized according to the vehicle as well.

benlittle

Adventurer
The rack on our Bio Bonatti truck was made by Voyager/Rover Racks. When they started out in the Pacific NW, I wasn't a big fan of their stuff, however they seem to have worked out their growing pains somewhat.

They were able to get a custom rack built for our truck on a relatively short timeline, and the rack looks pretty darn good (although to be fair, the rooflines on the Defender are a bit easier to match than on a Disco). My only complaints are as follows:

1. The rack came with a rough powdercoating finish. I prefer the smooth finish. Not sure if they'll do a smooth finish on request.

2. Our rack was damaged in transit, and had to be repaired. Voyager did a good job packaging the rack for transit, some moron at the shipping company was just overly enthusiastic with a forklift.

Yes but also with that move - they left a lot of unhappy people behind.

Search Dweb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12