Royal Enfield Bullet

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
What's the low down on these in the US? I read the OJ article but was a bit unclear as to if and when they would be available in the states. Any idea in the retail? A couple of buddies of mine road some RE's up over 18'000 feet in northern India and swear by them. I have been intriguEd by them ever since and would live some more specifics about the new fuel injected bikes.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
There are two models of the fuel-injected REs available in the U.S. The G5 is the one on loan to Overland Journal; the other, the C5, is even more vintage in appearance, and definitely oriented toward pavement use.

They're very affordable - the G5 is around $6,000 - but you can buy several excellent Japanese dual-sport bikes for the same money. You have to be after different goals to want an RE, like attention every time you stop for gas.

Also, it's just a much more relaxed experience. The seat height is low, there's not a lot of horsepower but plenty of torque, the components seem robust if crudely finished. Example: The Indians still chrome individual pieces of assemblies, then weld them together and paint the welds with silver paint. Weird. Also, there's still a specified break-in period, so your first few hundred miles are even more relaxed than the subsequent ones.

I'm having a blast with ours. I have some long back road trips planned; for now I've been scooting around the ranch roads south of us:

REandBaboquivari.jpg

Not quite the Himalayas, but I'm feeling the connection to all those Royal Enfields accessing the most remote parts of Asia. I can't remember having more fun with any motorcycle.

So far the only problem I've had is a faulty side-stand cut-off switch, which would have come off anyway.

scarysharkface

Explorer
One of those would be fun for around town or the local countryside, but I don't it's something that I'd want to ride across Labrador..

John

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
I have no intention of trying to outdo KLRs or DRs or GS1200s in rough terrain.

But I'll have at least as much fun in places I can go. And you never know where I might show up.

taco2go

Explorer
What's the low down on these in the US?

Hey Kristian, if you're ever down by Hastings, Ed at MC supply has been supplying and servicing Royal Enfields for several years. Having only ever ridden the 250 cc Bullets in India, I found the classic 500 a HUGE step up in power. Admittedly, that's not saying much if one is put-putting along on I -96 at 65. It shines on backroads. Ed carries the newer EFI models as well, including the G5 Military- just oozes WW II character- saving up the pennies......
g5-military-tan.jpg

Link to MC:
http://www.mcsupply.com/showcaseproductslist.htm?Brand=-2053&Type=-348

This is another neat RE blog.
http://www.royalenfields.com/2009/06/royal-enfield-military-reporting-for.html

BTW....did'ja get the CD?

Last edited:

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Johnathon, thanks for the info and first hand report on the new OJ RE. I realize that there are some compromises inherent in a RE versus a BMW or modern Japanese bike but I love the style and relaxed demeanor. Being a former motocrosser I need to figure out just how mellow I can go without regrets versus a KLR with a bit more off highway abilities. The Royal Enfield definately is more timeless and likely a bike that you would keep for a lifetime. I also enjoy doing more with less and the idea of navigating some tricky dirt roads or trails on one is pretty appealing honestly. I am looking forward to hearing more of your accounts with it.

Joash, thanks for the links! I haven't gotten the cd yet. I returned from Chile last week but went directly to the Adirondacks for a backpacking and kayaking trip. I fly back in to Marquette today and am looking forward to hearing your version of Wagon Wheel! Thanks for sending that! Are you going to make any fall trips up north for the colors?

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
Kristian

Jonathan gave a good rundown. I road the new fuel injected model a couple of weeks ago and it was a giggle. The top speed is about an indicated 70, but the vibrations will keep you under 60. It's a great bike down a narrow country road at moderate speeds, nice and light, easy to throw around. It will happily go down a soft road and have you grinning. I wouldn't want one as my only bike but as a second :ylsmoke:

Jim

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Don't forget that these things get 85 mpg. They are good for the long and rough haul, as proven by Guarav Jani, et al. over at the 60 Kph Motorcycle Club . Guarav has taken his (350 cc) through some pretty rough terrain and conditions, including fording rivers, boulder fields, thousands of kilometers of off-road riding, and loaded to the hilt as well. From what I've read in the trip reports of expeditions on Beemers, KTM's etc. the RE seems to do just as well and reliably, only much slower. However, being lightweight, you can actually handle and even push this thing for miles if you have to, unlike a Beemer loaded to over a thousand pounds. Some of you have probably come across his DVD's before. Here's the link.

http://www.dirttrackproductions.com/ourfilms.html

Their motorcycle club site is: http://www.60kph.com/

David

Attachments

• Royal Enfield.jpg
    Royal Enfield.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member