RTT deploys to port or starboard?

Which side?

• RTT deploys to passenger side

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • RTT deploys to driver's side

Votes: 8 28.6%

• Total voters
Which side of the trailer and why?

I was thinking it would be best to deploy to the passenger side. Because that would be the side away from traffic on the road. Also, the trailer lid should open to the driver's side for ease of the driver accessing stuff, and so you can access the trailer with the RTT deployed.

Am I way off? Are there reasons I don't know about to do it another way?

teebes

Observer
I was thinking it would be best to deploy to the passenger side. Because that would be the side away from traffic on the road.

That seems to be the general consensus, but what tent owners are parking on the side of the road?? Folks say the same thing about having your kitchen on the passenger side, which may be a tad more realistic, but isn't the whole point of having a RTT or offroad trailer to be out in in the wilderness?

My setup deploys to the driver side, just the way conqueror's come by default. Haven't had any desire to pull over and pop the tent along side a road, yet :smiley_drive:

That seems to be the general consensus, but what tent owners are parking on the side of the road?? Folks say the same thing about having your kitchen on the passenger side, which may be a tad more realistic, but isn't the whole point of having a RTT or offroad trailer to be out in in the wilderness?

My setup deploys to the driver side, just the way conqueror's come by default. Haven't had any desire to pull over and pop the tent along side a road, yet :smiley_drive:

I realize how ludicrous that sounds, but I used that example for lack of a better one.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
P-side.

Break down, out of fuel, whatever you can pull over and safely deploy the shelter JIC you need it..

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
I was thinking it would be best to deploy to the passenger side. Because that would be the side away from traffic on the road. Also, the trailer lid should open to the driver's side for ease of the driver accessing stuff, and so you can access the trailer with the RTT deployed.

What you said is exactly how I built my trailer and why.

But AT builds theirs the opposite way so that if you have to pull off the road, and open the trailer lid, you're not standing in traffic.

Last edited:

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
After having mine rhs lhs and getting fed up with changing the height and hitting my head/ generally getting in the way

In my latest trailer creation I made it flip forward, the ladder ending up on the hitch.

No bashed heads, can be put up anywhere and not require more space, but open I can't open the truck rear doors !

so you win some and you loose some

willyswagon

Adventurer
I'm going to set up a Maggiolina on the wagon for the kids.
A Columbus on trailer so I can get into the trailer at any time,it won't hang off either side, then pop the tent up in 15 sec when I'm ready to sleep.
I will have an awning off the starboard side.
Does anyone see anything I'm missing with this plan??

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Both !!!! But in different hemispheres

In Australia I had mine hanging out to the "Port" but when I dragged it across to the USA I swapped it around so it opened to the passengers side again. We found that in Australia we used to pulloff to the side of the road to camp quite often. Not too sure if that would be as acceptable over here.

On a totally different track this RTT is over 30 years old :Wow1: and still going strong.

668050704_atV6N-M.jpg

dirty Bakers

Conservative
I am not arguing I just always thought the entrance to a trailer would be better on the driver side only for campsite positioning reasons. Every time I have ever pulled into a site I position the trailer according to the fire ring or ideal spot for a fire ring and I always envision the positioning going alot smoother if I could look out the window to my left. I imagine the entrance to a RTT being just as conveiniently located.

kai38

Explorer
Mounted on the trailer I have it open driver side, I'm looking at driving to Alaska & will mount it on top of the FJ Cruiser, haven't decide which side to open it on when mounted on that way, leaning towards driver side also.

wikid

Adventurer

Actually, in one of the trips I am planning, We will do the Pacific Coast Highway. There are areas there where you can camp, along the side of the road, right by the sea. I thought it would be interesting, to camp there for a night, just to have that experience. Although, My tent will be on the roof deployed to the back of my cruiser. I was just chiming in to mention there could be a benefit to have it on the starboard side.

kb7our

Explorer
Which side of the trailer and why?

Driver's side, passenger's side, off the back, or off the front? Try one, see if it suits "your" particular setup/needs, then go with it. It's not a huge deal to relocate most flip open tent's if you don't like the setup so don't get too hung up on this question. One exception might be a rear or front open where typically the tent mount channels "might" need to be turned 90 degrees, cut, and remounted to the tent floor/base. Good luck!

Wade

panzer

Observer
Just to add to the confusion.
My RTT opens to the DS, the reason is the trailer lid opens on the PS and I wanted to be able to open the lid with the tent deployed.
The trailer opens PS so that I can access it safely when pulled to the side of the road.

100_1030_resized2.JPG

100_1036_resized.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12