RTT on Leer Cap | Suggestions on mounting and additional support

kcdeming

Observer
Hey Guys!

I drive a 2013 F150 Supercrew and just picked up a Leer 100XQ from craigslist and ordered a Mt. Rainer from CVT. I know that the weight rating for the fiberglass top is 150 pounds so mounting it on top is not suggested although I am finding everybody seems to do it anyways. With the fear of cracking the top I would like to find other options that are less intrusive like the Leer ladder racks.

Does anyone out there have a similar experience or suggestions?

Thanks!
-Casey

dreamtrekker

Hi Casey,

I have that same cap on my Tundra. When I first got my RTT I did the same thing. At first it was fine then I noticed a small hairline crack after 2 days I immediately took it off. Short of making a tubular cage inside my cap I just addd 4 2x6's on the inside right under where the Thule rack feet were. This took the weight off the cap to the bed. That made a huge difference and gave us the confidence to sleep without the worry we would crash into the bed in the middle of the night. It's a bit of a redneck fix but it works. You could find someone to build a interior cage to distribute the weight. That is about all you can do I am afraid if you want to keep it on your cap.

kcdeming

Observer
Thank you for the response! A friend and I are working on an idea for an exo cage that would mount around the cap. The idea would be specifically for RTTs and to be as least intrusive as possible.

paranoid56

Adventurer
i did this with mine.
I also added some LED lights in it for some night light :D
92EQ7g_Niz0ih_QVrY5edt8G3MQ3Zxv7kw4VfX1vEAr1CnB2IQwLgcwwDMbWcjr1JFYrAozcIK4DW6cc9elHUVUxBJEPDAVsFPW04XjM6gxQHP25MiJXtYnONtP2WwW2c0fqhsJ5s6F4o7rsE9MeW9mxVCpdCA3ZTlwrod2zSHMXM6UWn0Pzxl6ZoPRLW7EqjoY2TJBqXAiD_pce0KoeSoYFo250U4JVHj-LcUYP3jrU6iajlMvu9SvSOLGJ890PyDPPMI6uguJ5nOSSCwJTGWzECDgV7PFoDjhNbxyh4NSIybAVtPr_CKeQa29dPMVZEeAlqaW1lk6dE8YQuNgnOqoXKI8tGSwyKoShnpteG0KDHM1sLb-j_OUSwbetIBu2iIkrehpwuyuDjTscWIXbdIesd-0hGa5u12JTWwOAZJI_4ltN8Ba-8nJU5LR0RQeh4Ru69YuTQUmmw9o_ZMPJLROaAmFG_jJ5fSJyIHnP0PRG8T5UkZR4RalLKMjgDjjVrxjePhBw-9A_2N3g9Mf9Gdk1DBMn9Pti7jA7qCjvETgGJqbIaSN1MXfKe6gWLuNUazc2EkI8YBAYPpuPPKS07s2PiuU=w1034-h775-no

chet6.7

Explorer
Thank you for the response! A friend and I are working on an idea for an exo cage that would mount around the cap. The idea would be specifically for RTTs and to be as least intrusive as possible.
I went to the dealer I got my DCU from the other day, looking for a rack that fits tight to the shell.
He said this company will build to the dimensions he sends them.
I am thinking about a custom 3000 series,he said the ball park price was $1,200.

rackitinc.com/fullywelded.html

kcdeming

Observer
I would get an interior frame fabricated that would mount to the cap's roof rail hardware. That's what I plan to do in a year or two, anyways. I recently found these photos which show exactly the solution I would like (can't recall where I found the photos):

TSaZlFE.jpg

VhDLNa1.jpg

Thank you for the great photos! I have thought about interior support but assumed it would be much more expensive.

One of the next projects will be a set of drawers. I see something interesting at the bottom of the pictures :Wow1:

kcdeming

Observer
I went to the dealer I got my DCU from the other day, looking for a rack that fits tight to the shell.
He said this company will build to the dimensions he sends them.
I am thinking about a custom 3000 series,he said the ball park price was $1,200.

rackitinc.com/fullywelded.html

WOW $1,200!! I guess you get what you pay for though.

kcdeming

Observer
I am thinking that the exterior idea is not going to happen now due to the lip on the cap. I've thought about the inner support but that is kind of expensive if I don't necessarily need it. I am wondering if mounting Yakima Landing Pads and use the Skyline Mounts and the round crossbars I already have on top of the cap. I have heard fears of cracking the fiber glass but not sure if the weight is distributed well and with much of the tent weight held by the RTT ladder we would be fine up there.

Thoughts or experience from anyone else?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78