Rv trailer off road modifications?

dumprat

Adventurer
Ok so who has modified an off the lot travel trailer for off road use? What did you do?

I have a 16' Starcraft ar-one extreme. It works. It is lifted a little. And so far hasn't beaten itself apart. But I am wondering what I may be overlooking as far as failure points in the future.

TwinStick

Explorer
We have an AR-One Extreme 18QB. I have done nothing to the chassis. I have reinforced the vertical supports in the seating area as well as the bed frame. I also added a few horizontal supports under the seating area & replaced the veneer under the cushions with 1/2" thick birch fbs plywood & used min wax semi gloss on them. I also added another layer of 1/2" birch plywood under the bed & added a 2nd set of gas lift cylinders, to help lift it. We love ours so far. Glad i got the rooftop air vs the side mounted unit. 8000 btu vs 13,500 btu. Mattress SUCKS. We will be getting a new one at some point.

For the chassis, I think shocks would help to eliminate any bouncing. Probably not an issue as long as you don't do 70 over a set of double RRoad tracks, like i did on the way home from picking it up. It still handled it really well. 1 bounce & only about 4" of air. Tracked straight with 1 hand on the wheel & 1 resting on the ddoor w/window down. We pull it with a 08' Power Wagon w/G-56.

Last edited:

dumprat

Adventurer
I also wondered if shocks would be a worthy upgrade. But with the equalizer hitch on ours it doesn't bounce at all behind the F350.

I am in the process of retiring the junction box on the hitch. Ours is not sealed and the connections are corroding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman

Members online