Sand ladders?

Can someone enlighten me on the proper use of sand ladders with a trailer in tow?

I am planning a trip to the Oregon Dunes in July and will be sand camping. I'll have my truck and trailer/RTT in tow. I have never used ladders and trailer together, so what are some tips I should know when heading out?

Can someone enlighten me on the proper use of sand ladders with a trailer in tow?

I am planning a trip to the Oregon Dunes in July and will be sand camping. I'll have my truck and trailer/RTT in tow. I have never used ladders and trailer together, so what are some tips I should know when heading out?

I've never been in that situation, but I'd imagine that the trailer tires wouldnt dig in such as the truck tires will when they spin and dig in.

I think the added weight of the trailer might make an extraction only more difficult. Clear the sand in front of the tires or work to pack it down.

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
Last winter (Australia winter) we crossed the Simpson Desert with a group of Prados and one towing a trailer. Of course he was always getting stuck going up dunes and would have to back Stan down quite often. We would use MAXTRAX on the Prado but the trailer never needed any sand ladders on the trailer. When he would need the trailer moved due to Jack knifing we would use a Hi-Lift to move it and keep the MAXTRAX on the Prado only.

I posted pics on the MAXTRAX fan page on FaceBook so check them out. I can try when I get to a computer.

I know your situation may be different, but I hope this helped.

-Ben

Last edited:
This is MaxTrax Patrol, you can see the sand is built up a bit in front of the trailer tires, maybe just dig out in front of them.
12668_202943546217_202912471217_3612489_5523841_n.jpg

Sorry, but I love this truck!
12668_202937611217_202912471217_3612452_4232247_n.jpg

Are you going to an area where you can drop the trailer then drive around? Going with other trucks?

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
As per the photo

sand tracks for the vehicle driving wheels, just clear the sand flat in front of the trailer to reduce the drag.

Also lower the tyre pressure in the trailer.

A trailer in sand adds drag- ie the truck has to work harder to drag the trailer

The bigger the tires better the float and less drag

As per the photo

sand tracks for the vehicle driving wheels, just clear the sand flat in front of the trailer to reduce the drag.

Also lower the tyre pressure in the trailer.

A trailer in sand adds drag- ie the truck has to work harder to drag the trailer

The bigger the tires better the float and less drag

So would going with a larger AT instead of a MT type tire be better? I'm going to start working on a motorcycle hauling offroad trailer soon, so inquiring minds want to know!

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
My sand experience is limited to Florida beaches and I haven't dragged my trailer in the sand yet.
But, I've always done better with fat mud tires than ATs.

fido

Oregon Dunes

Never used sand ladders but I have a lot of experience pulling trailers on the Oregon Dunes. We pull large trailers 23'-40' 9000-16000lbs. Most of our trucks are full size running 285/75/17 AT . 20 PSI Max on all tires including trailer. I have had to go down to 12 once. I usually go to the Horsefal area in North Bend. The sand is a little different 20 mile North in Winchester. Stay smooth on the throttle and stay on it. If you have any questions about the dunes let me know.

Dann

NateK

Don't stop unless you know you are on hardish sand, AIR DOWN, AT's are better for sand than MT's the MT's dig in too much and get you stuck, the AT's seem to float better. ;)

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
During the Overland Training I was able to demonstrate the difference that 2 psi made between getting stuck in a sand dune vs. floating on top...both on the trailer and tow rig. For example, my truck at 5700 lbs with 285/75R16 AT at 10 psi and the AT Teardrop at 1285 lbs with 315/75R16 AT at 10 psi successfully climbed a moderate grade sand dune at a crawl speed, leaving a perfect imprint of the tire in the sand when at 12 psi, the truck dug itself into the sand and got stuck.

Moral: Know your truck & trailer and don't be afraid to experiment until you find the combination that works for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman