SAS Frontier

AlabamaWill

Observer
This may have been asked already but is there any reason why a SAS cant be done on a 05-09 Frontier? Had to ask Ive been looking at alot of SAS projects online.

GetGone

I don't see why not! There are no kits that I am aware of for the Nissans so a lot of fab will be needed. Don't know your background or anything, but there are some choices to make...
I would start with the transfer case = what side does it go to (driver or passenger)? This will determine what your axle choices are. A driver side drop will give you the option of ordering what I think would be the hot ticket... a Jeep Rubicon axle from Mopar - Dana 44 that comes with a selectable locker, 4.10:1 gears, brakes... If you could use that then you may as well order the rear axle as well to match the wheel bolt pattern, gearing, locker, and the benefit of using the OEM locker controller for both axles. A passenger side drop will change your axle options. Adapting the brake lines to different axles may be a hump to overcome so you'll need to research that as well. Brake proportioning may be something to overcome, but there is an adjustable valve that can help for that.

Steering can be a big item to look into. It may require you to use a different steering box, cross-over steering, or a few other variables.

Suspension type is another choice to make. Coils, leaves, coil-overs, air bags... Leaves are simple, cheap, and durable but you have to get it right as you can't adjust the suspension for alignment or caster like you can with links, after installation. A link-type suspension will require a lot of planning to get the geometry right but offers the best ride, handling, and perhaps traction delivery, if figured out correctly.

So yeah, it can be done, but it is not cheap or easy. If it has not been done on that model yet, you will be the guinea pig and that can be a daunting obstacle. Good luck!

mcm4090

Explorer
I don't have any info on it but it has been done.

dsci0464ic7.jpg

dsci0422jk6.jpg

dsci0419tk7.jpg

GetGone

That kit works for up to '04 - AlabamaWill has the latest model. Pretty affordable kit tho, I wonder if there is one in the works for the current model...

AlabamaWill

Observer
Ok, this maybe a dream plan but someday Im going to have to try it. I plan to do this in the next year or two so; I graduate in Oct so once I go off-shore a few times I should have some money to do the SAS, hopefully. The front drive shaft comes up the driver side of my truck and I have a Dana 44 rear axle with locker. Im wanting to do this right the first time, I thought about using portal axles front and rear, with coilovers up front and using Alcan springs in the rear. Im think Im looking at about $4200 for the portal axle parts, coilovers... unsure how much, front axle well unsure there to. Im shooting for around $10,000 for the front and rear. What do you think, too much?

turner

Ok, this maybe a dream plan but someday Im going to have to try it. I plan to do this in the next year or two so; I graduate in Oct so once I go off-shore a few times I should have some money to do the SAS, hopefully. The front drive shaft comes up the driver side of my truck and I have a Dana 44 rear axle with locker. Im wanting to do this right the first time, I thought about using portal axles front and rear, with coilovers up front and using Alcan springs in the rear. Im think Im looking at about $4200 for the portal axle parts, coilovers... unsure how much, front axle well unsure there to. Im shooting for around $10,000 for the front and rear. What do you think, too much?

For $10,000 I could build a tough little buggy that would take me anywhere in the country.... That is some crazy budgeting.

AlabamaWill

Observer
Thats just guessing HIGH at the amount. I saw the red JEEP Brute with portal axles on this site and loved it, its one of my favorite JEEPs out there. When Im done with school Ill be off-shore some for a while so the days I have at home will be spent building and exploring. The build up is my goal right now it may change in the year I have to get the money saved up.

Casper

Adventurer
It can be done. From what I have read steeriing is a magor pain. Next gens have rack and pinion set, and its very difficult to find a good place to mount a gear box on the frame.

Check out this thread on Ronin Some of the photos are missing, but he did a good job and the set up of a next gen xterra. Also search around that site, you can find a bunch more info.

$10,000 grand is not a bad starting point. Heck you could spend that on 2 portal axles. Custom work costs $$$$$. Even with the kit I used for my 2000 Xterra SAS the total costs were up in the high $8's

Good luck with it, and make sure to take lots and lots of photos of how you do it.

Casper
:coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan