SAS on 2wd 1995 chevy c1500

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Depends what you want to use the truck for, tire size,etc. Being a 2wd you can use either side drop fairly easily because you have a variety of trans/transfer cases you can use. Ive never used any kits, but again setting up your truck one way or another, or another, or what kit to use, I think it depends what you want to use the truck for.

Personally I had a bit of a bad experience with ORU on a steering system I ordered, which is the reason my diesel still dosent have a solid axle under it

bob91yj

Resident **************
You've got a few options on the axle, you can Junkyard a Dana 44 or Dana 60, or go with the bling and get a Hybrid 9" from a company like Diamond Axle. http://www.diamondaxle.com/index.htm

If you go with a D44 I'd upgrade the shafts to Cr-Mo, D60 stock axles will probably meet your needs.

I'd guess at a minimum you are going to triple the value of your truck if you junkyard the parts, but be lucky to get 25% of the investment back when/if you sell it. I'd try to find a similar vintage truck that is 4wd from the factory, swap parts from one truck to the other as needed. It's not just the tcase/axle, it's a whole new transmission, or at minimum an adapter housing, shift linkage, axle/tcase rebuild as needed, steel for fab work, fabrication labor, springs, driveshafts, shocks, and a few dozen other little bits and pieces to make it all work right.

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
What trasfer case was in the same year truck but 4wd?

Would be a np241 case I believe and a 4l60E trans or nv3500-5spd manual (someone correct me if Im wrong please)

Id vote the best/easiest/cheapest way to do this would be find a parts/wrecked 3/4 ton 95 GM 4x4, swap in the trans/T case/crossmember/rear diff. Then find a 78-79 F-250 and grab the front axle from it. With patience and smart shopping you can find all that for under $1000, and a good possibility of both trucks having 4.10s. Then you can find some rear GM 52" springs (73-87), get a kit or make brackets and mount those springs and the D44 up front, do a homebrew shackle plip out back etc. Steering and front driveshaft will likely be the most expensive parts if you do it that way (aside from tires/rims)
You may actually end up getting everything for free/making a profit if you shop smart, buy complete trucks and part them out/scrap what you dont need. Im not saying it will be free or that you will make money, just saying its possible.

Ive done a SAS on a 92 GMC 1500 4x4 with a buddy in the late 90's and we used a 91 blazer for a donor which has a 241 passenger drop transfer case so it has a hook up for spedometer. These t cases are a 91 only item, we also used the front diff from that blazer into his truck and kept the original rearend stock.

EDIT: Im also going to add that I know people will say conglobmerating something together and making parts and using wrong parts is unsafe, yes it can be so please be safe about it, yes you will have to buy shocks and please dont drive with worn out parts/balljoints/steering parts/breaks, etc. And 35s on fire roads and a dana 44 should be fine IMHO.

EDIT again: Forgot I was going to say 95 is an oddball year with the new interior and still being OBD1 and TBI. If you did this swap with a 96 or newer trans/T case you will need to modify or change the wiring harness I believe. But if you wanted a TH400 trans or a 700R4 from an older donor truck, the wiring harness block where it passes through the firewall is different. Ive mounted a couple newer cabs on pre-94 trucks and some modifications to the firewall are needed for wiring blocks and steering column openings, and collumn support/mounts.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman