Scepter lid loosening/tightening tool!

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Just in case you haven't seen this thread over on MUD. Metal Tech, among others, are being set up as resellers. Pretty cool tool!

http://forum.ih8mud.com/camping-out...g-sceptre-mfc-story-including-solution-3.html

No connection other than its a much needed tool for some of us :)

Update: I just ordered one from MetalTech in Oregon. $29.99 + USPS; in stock and shipping today. You have to call them to order as they're not on their website yet...

MetalTech: 800-839-0684

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I used to worry about people stealing my gas. Now I hope they just take the gas and leave the danged Scepters behind!!

Woodsman

Adventurer
Woodsman came on and talked up how the wood was just as good, now he makes them out of HDPE as of April 2011... LOL

There's a simple story for you Mitch. I made my first wood version two years ago and it's been bouncing around in my vehicle ever since with zero issues whatsoever. There are many more of them bouncing around out there in the field with no failures that I am aware of. However, I have been making them almost as a piece of art and it is labor intensive. The detailed sanding and finishing caused me carpal-tunnel-like pains so I took the opportunity to get away from this labor.

I did go back to the drawing board and redesigned my wrench to include recesses that better accomodate the retainer strap while still gripping all the points of the cap. I continued to sell the wood version with the new recess but I also contacted my plastic's salesman trying to find a material superior to the HDPE. There are options but the prices are prohibitive IMO.

I fell back on the HDPE as a base material which is durable and economical. If the HDPE version of my design is more widely or more easily accepted than the wood version, then I can do that. I still receive inquiries from folks that want the wood version but I no longer sell direct so they are referred to retailers for the HDPE version.

Just for comparison's sake, I made a single handled version and I find the two handled version easier to use because you are holding the wrench down with both hands and rotating with both hands all at the same time. The one handed version still takes two hands, one to hold it on the cap and one to rotate. :wavey:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior