School bus conversion project.

Guri

Explorer
Hi, I'm looking to for an old school bus (around 10-20 years old) and I would like to convert in to RV to travel with my family.
Well now, I would like to have more information before to buy a bus and start the project...
I live in California and the School Bus I saw is a diesel pusher. I have a few question and I would like to know is someone can help me.
Do I need a special license to drive a 20 ft school bus?
What is the requirements that the bus needs to qualify as an RV for the DMV (like stove, sink, propane tank...)?
How long or tedious is the paperwork process to convert from a bus to RV to the DMV?
As a diesel it need special inspection or smog test?

I really appreciate any input.
Thanks

I don't have any bus decided but it will be something like that:

00E0E_1NXBVdH9XRg_600x450.jpg

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
California might be different, but in Montana a friend of mine had a converted school bus that he hired someone to do the conversion on. That way he could actually register it as an RV.

Guri

Explorer
California might be different, but in Montana a friend of mine had a converted school bus that he hired someone to do the conversion on. That way he could actually register it as an RV.

Thanks for your reply but unfortunately here in California the law is different in many way but could be good idea to ask some shop too.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
To make it legally a "housecar" or RV you have to have toilet, stove, sink and bed. Permanently mounted.

If it seats - I think 12 or more...maybe it's 15 or more...can't remember offhand - then you need a passenger endorsement.

Once it's registered as a housecar, then you don't need any special license or endorsement unless the weight goes over 26,000 lbs. or the length goes over 40'.

Guri

Explorer
To make it legally a "housecar" or RV you have to have toilet, stove, sink and bed. Permanently mounted.

If it seats - I think 12 or more...maybe it's 15 or more...can't remember offhand - then you need a passenger endorsement.

Once it's registered as a housecar, then you don't need any special license or endorsement unless the weight goes over 26,000 lbs. or the length goes over 40'.

Thank you for your reply. I guess one of those portable toilet might qualify as a toilet or it have to be with plumbing?
I guess I need to ask a verification from the DMV to validate the conversion.
Thanks again.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
It needs to be "permanently mounted". What that means is down to the discretion of the DMV person who inspects your vehicle when you go to register it.

You probably don't need plumbing, per se, but you will at least need something like the Thetford marine toilets that lock down to a mounting base, and you need a dedicated space for it. I strap a porta potti down between the front seats in my van - this WOULD NOT count. A water closet with a mounted marine cassette toilet (but no plumbing) would likely be fine.

Same goes for the sink - a sink that drains into a "portable" grey water tank (like a dedicated scepter can) is probably sufficient.

Guri

Explorer
It needs to be "permanently mounted". What that means is down to the discretion of the DMV person who inspects your vehicle when you go to register it.

You probably don't need plumbing, per se, but you will at least need something like the Thetford marine toilets that lock down to a mounting base, and you need a dedicated space for it. I strap a porta potti down between the front seats in my van - this WOULD NOT count. A water closet with a mounted marine cassette toilet (but no plumbing) would likely be fine.

Same goes for the sink - a sink that drains into a "portable" grey water tank (like a dedicated scepter can) is probably sufficient.

Hey Herbie, Thanks for your contribution. I think an enclosed area with marine toilet can make it to work, that is my main concern. The stove, and sink is not a problem (may be a 5 gal Home Depot bucket can works too...hahah)
This is a project and I have really high expectation to do it but I still need more info.. May be we can talk about that this weekend at Rendezvous.
Thanks again.

jus passin thru

Adventurer
Have you thought about remodeling a RV they cone in all sizes are cheap when you get to be 15-20 years old often have low mileage but most important all the basic systems are there. It is easy to repanel or wall paper because you take off the old and have patterns add some new upholstery and you and your family are having fun as opposed to spending hours thinking about how to tie the toilet down. You might pay more upfront but tanks ,pumps, toilets, refers, etc all add up. If you were talking about doing a van I would say go for it but a school bus never. Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman